Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feel Like a Jerk

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:34 PM
  • 15 Replies

I just yelled at my 14 year old. He had an oppurtunity to go practice basketball at open practice at 8 am and he didn't want to go. Fine. Than his friend called him and said to go play soccer, he declined. At that point I told him its a nice day, go out and be active or stay and clean. Well he didn't go with his friend so I made him mow the front and back lawns and do some extra work. I was irriated taht its such a nice day and he wants to be lazy and just play xbox. I made him turn off the tv completely.

Now i just feel like a grouch and a jerk, it wasnt that big of deal but it just chaps me that he doesnt do what I tell him he should do, like go be with his friends.

I know its silly.

Now I dont know if I should apologize or let it be.

by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Don't apologize!
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:38 PM

You don't have to apologize but you could thank him for the work he did and let him know you appreciate it.

theTosh.O
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:39 PM

he's fine.  More parents should be like you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Thank him for doing what he's told?

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

You don't have to apologize but you could thank him for the work he did and let him know you appreciate it.

DisabledVet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Actually you're doing him a favor. Being outside and exercising is better then sitting on his butt playing video games. You don't owe him an apology. You're being a good parent.

crysiann
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:41 PM
You are his parent. You have nothing to apologize for. My ss has to earn his screen time by reading. And we also have him go outside to play when it's nice. It doesn't seem like you did anything wrong or mean.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Yes. My children are valued members of my household not slaves.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Thank him for doing what he's told?

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

NRB206
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Thanks! Its just odd he would rather clean than go out and be active. Its a 75 degree day in Colorado and trying to have him soak up the nice days before its gets obnoxisouly cold and we dont have a choice but to stay inside.

elzmnsf
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:50 PM
I understand what you mean but is he normally an active young man or does he always want to sit and veg? Because everyone needs, wants, and deserves a veg out day every so often...
NRB206
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I would say both. When hes home, he only wants to watch tv and play xbox. he doesnt have the same enthusiasm as he does in school sports. He does lots of school sports and loves it.

Quoting elzmnsf: I understand what you mean but is he normally an active young man or does he always want to sit and veg? Because everyone needs, wants, and deserves a veg out day every so often...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)