Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PUNISH MY ENTITLED CHILD!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies

it just became apparent that i have created an increadibly entitled child.. Just now she broke something.. was told to throw it away... and her response was "Ah, who cares... i have more toys.." how would you handle this in a 9 year old.??

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Foolynroo2
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:47 PM
14 moms liked this

Take them all away, make her earn them back.

This way she can learn to appreciate what she has.

PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Break her favorite toy

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I think I would probably tell her to go grab her favorite toy and bring it to me, then tell her to throw it away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:28 PM

BUMP!

TheSilence
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:29 PM
I would take it all away.
ilovemykids323
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:31 PM

take her toys awy or just give her very few toys to play with.... for awhile and she can slowly earn back some... some i might donate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Box up all of her toys...

razorbackfan
by BadgerMom on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Take her toys away from her and make her earn them back.
holyhoola
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:35 PM
2 moms liked this
It's a great time of the year to donate toys...have her help with the process, not to punish but teach.
BmoreRavens
by Raven on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:53 PM
11 moms liked this

Well, first of all do you think that you should be punished for creating an incredibly entitled child? If the answer is no then why should you punish your child for having a sense of entitlement that you created?

There is no need for the child to be punished. The need is for her to take responsibilty for her actions.

If the broken item can be repaired then the child repairs it or helps to repair it. If materials are needed for the repair then the child pays for the materials out of her allowance - or does chores to earn the money to pay for the materials. If the item cannot be repaired than the child (by the same methods) pays to replace the item. That is how she learns to care!

Having said that, just because the child said that she did not care does not necessarily mean that she doesn't. She may have felt bad, hurt, or disappointed that the toy broke and that it went in the trash, but did not want to show it. So, she acted chevalier instead?

Either way, she should be given an opportunity to "fix" her mistake; which will help her a whole lot more than being punished. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)