Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this legal?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 86 Replies

Dh works for a company that's forcing them to take 1 day off a week, they say "to avoid laying off anyone". Can they do that?

Never in any job that he's had, has this happened to him. He's not getting paid for the day either. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM

What does his contract say?  

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Unless he signed a contract that guaranteed a certain number of hours per week, yes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM
Yes. state of CA employees had to do furlough days. Dome companies cut back hours of everyone instead of laying a few people off. 30 hours a week is still considered full time
TheRingmaster
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:10 PM
9 moms liked this
Yes, and would you rather he be laid off and not get any work? Logic is seriously lacking here...in like 80% of posts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:10 PM
I would prefer he lose one day a week vs the possibility of losing his job.

And yes, if there is no contract it is legal.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:11 PM
Yes, that's legal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:11 PM

did I say that? I just asked if it was legal. 

We've been very fortunate, like I said it's never happened in any job he's had before this. What logic is lacking? I was just asking a question. 

Quoting TheRingmaster: Yes, and would you rather he be laid off and not get any work? Logic is seriously lacking here...in like 80% of posts.

pinkcoffeecup
by Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Sure they can.  Unless there is something in writing that says no.  Like they have a work contract.  If they don't have enough work to go around or are strapped for money paying employees.  If they say you all take one day off a week.  Or some of you get laid off.   I'd take the 1 day off a week. Still have my job for now.  Then can always be looking for something else in the same that could be better.  Government jobs by me are giving furlow days.  From time to time workers at the DMV and a few other government places have to take a day off as furlow several times a year without pay. 

ilovemykids323
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM

yes they can. lots of companies around here have done things like that.

UrWorstNight
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Doesn't it always?

Quoting TheRingmaster: Yes, and would you rather he be laid off and not get any work? Logic is seriously lacking here...in like 80% of posts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)