Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for FF moms...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
DD is almost 4 months old and FF. She went to the doctor yesterday for some shots (she got behind due to an insurance change) and the doctor asked me how much and how often she was eating. I told her DD's feeding schedule and she told me DD is ingesting too much formula and I need to cut back on her feedings. I thought she was joking. DD isn't overweight or anything and is following her growth curve. She's 15lbs and 26.5 inches. I asked her doctor to explain why I needed to cut back and she said an infant should never ingest more than 32 ounces in 24 hours. I'm just kind of blown away. Does anyone have any experience with this? She eats 6oz every 3-4 hours except before bed. She drinks 6oz at around 9 falls asleep and then at around 10:30 wakes up and wants another 4-5oz. She then sleeps til around 7:30am. She drinks around 36-41ounces a day.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjessers
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Sounds like my youngest . He was a preemie and in the ICU . He had such a hard time latching on so he ended up solely ff. after we found the best one for him , he drank 6 ounces every 3 hrs.
Cmgmqmmom
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:24 PM
Here's a bump. I know nothing about formula.
KekeLi938
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:25 PM
My son was eating 6 ozs every 3 hours at 4 months. His last feeding was at 10 pm, and then he was sleeping for the entire night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:25 PM
I just looked it up and that seems to be the general rule.
They say about 24 to 32oz is average for a 4 month old.
My dd is 3 months, 14lbs and 25ish inches. She drinks about 24-29oz in a 24 hour period.
risa_xc
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:27 PM
My 8 month old is 17 lbs and drinks about 5 ounces every 4 hours and they tell me the same thing that I need to cut back on formula
WaterorWine
by Wino on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Maybe you should give her some cereal? Ask her ped. Or try a slower flow nipple. She might be over eating before she realizes she's full.

I BF, but supplement. GL.
goodygumdrops
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM
4 moms liked this

As long as she is healthy, meeting milestones and is an average weight for her length, don't worry.  

I think some doctors  get it stuck in their heads that babies and kids MUST ALL follow the same rules.  

bookwormx4
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM
It is more than average, but my older two were like that, they ate a LOT. They weren't overweight, they were height weight proportionate, just much larger than average.

ETA My third was smaller than average (11 pounds at 4 months) and took significantly less formula.
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:33 PM
In my 8 years of daycare and the many infants I have watched, none took a six ounce bottle at 4 months old and 15 pounds is huge. There is a reason why the newborn bottles only go to four ounces.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:33 PM
She still uses slow flow nipples. Cereal is worthless for babies.

Quoting WaterorWine: Maybe you should give her some cereal? Ask her ped. Or try a slower flow nipple. She might be over eating before she realizes she's full.

I BF, but supplement. GL.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)