Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

These dogs are mean!!! and I'm not talking about pitbulls

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 92 Replies
I want a German Shepherd. I've done a lot of research. A lot. I found a legit breeder that checks temperament at 45 days old. There's no American in the breed. Health check. Papers. All that good stuff. My sisters refuse to come over if I own a German shepherd. They said they are mean and will eat their kids. Do you own one? Its the breed I want. I recently got a divorce and I love how loyal these dogs are to their owners. I have a 13 yr old son and 7 yr old daughter. What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:11 PM
3 moms liked this
Theyre extremely loyal. And their temperment is how you raise them. I dont believe that a whole breed is mean or nice. Its like saying all southerns love sweet potato and white people dont drink root beer
Lil_Wolf
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM
I have had GSDs my whole life & have never had a problem with them. I have never personally known this to be a problem. Actually, they are very good with children in my experience .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM
I agree. My family is crazy. I'm getting him anyways. He's 3 weeks old and I already put money down.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Theyre extremely loyal. And their temperment is how you raise them. I dont believe that a whole breed is mean or nice. Its like saying all southerns love sweet potato and white people dont drink root beer
lollip0p
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:14 PM
2 moms liked this

My mum had a german shepherd. They are amazing dogs (I've known quite a few). They are so smart and so protective, while being incredibly calm and gentle. Great choice!

Edit: Protective, but not stupid. Mine would never bark at anyone. He would simply place himself between the stranger and I if he sensed they may be a threat. He'd be fine the minute I told him I was ok. (This mainly happened when I walked him late at night)

Such an amazing dog. I miss him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM
My sisters think my dog will be great with me and my kids, but anyone outside of the family will die lol. Like he'll just lunge for no reason and kill someone. Dramatic.

Quoting Lil_Wolf: I have had GSDs my whole life & have never had a problem with them. I have never personally known this to be a problem.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:17 PM
I can't wait! The loyalty is what drew me to them. Being alone for the first time in 15 years I want a dog that will protect me and my family, but still be sweet and loving. I wont raise him to be an attack dog. I think natural instincts will kick in though if there's ever an intruder.

Quoting lollip0p:

My mum had a german shepherd. They are amazing dogs (I've known quite a few). They are so smart and so protective, while being incredibly calm and gentle. Great choice!

Edit: Protective, but not stupid. Mine would never bark at anyone. He would simply place himself between the stranger and I if he sensed they may be a threat. He'd be fine the minute I told him I was ok. (This mainly happened when I walked him late at night)

Such an amazing dog. I miss him.

redo
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM
I think they're mouthy, but extremely affectionate, loyal, and intelligent.

If this is the dog you want, do a lot of research about breaking them out of the mouthiness. Other than that, go for it.

I've had two shepherds in my life. (One full one husky/shepherd) They are terrific dogs.
BostonGirl0301
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:19 PM
I got bit in the ass by one. Not my favorite breed!
ElvinCephalopod
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:20 PM

i guess i should stop drinking root beer - its my second favorite soft drink :(

i never knew that was a stereotype

Quoting Anonymous 2: Theyre extremely loyal. And their temperment is how you raise them. I dont believe that a whole breed is mean or nice. Its like saying all southerns love sweet potato and white people dont drink root beer

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Lol I find this funny since I just picked out my GS puppy this morning. I've never known a bad one. My uncle (he owns my puppy's parents) has 5 of them and they're all wonderful dogs. He has bred, raised, and owned them since before I was born and never had an aggressive one. They do take some training and knowledge of the breed but they are great dogs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)