Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Considering moving to Portland, Oregon

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:19 PM
  • 14 Replies
We are looking for good places to move and Portland Oregon, from what I'm reading, seems like a good place to live. I have 3 children, 8, 6, & 4, so I am wondering how the schools are out there and how "family friendly" Portland is. Also, how is the economy & job market?
We are planning a trip there to see how it is and how we like it but I figured I'd ask people who know more than just reading about it and visiting once or twice.
If anyone lives, or has lived, in Portland I would love your input on the school, culture, environment, weather, and anything else you have to add.
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
novachick
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Bump
novachick
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Thank you! She was my first baby :) my dad and I fixed her up when I was 15.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:37 PM

I know nothing about Oregon but I like that Nova in your avatar.

xXxLillithxXx
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM

I'd like to move to portland too. I balk at the cost of living down there though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM

That's awesome! We are a huge car family, DD races in the Jr Dragster division.

Quoting novachick: Thank you! She was my first baby :) my dad and I fixed her up when I was 15.

Jenniy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM
I visit Portland weekly, but never looked into living there, good luck and here's a bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Portland, Oregon and a sloe gin fizz. If this ain't love then tell me what is. Ohhh Ohhh

Sorry dk anything bout portland except for that song.. but here's a bump! !
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:40 PM
I lives in Portland. When I was 20 - 21. I would not raise a family there though... It's nice for being a young adult and having fun, but I didn't like it for raising kids. I think they are still know for the most strip clubs in that city out of all the states. You can google it. It could have changed since Iv lived there though

I did love living there and I do love visiting but wouldn't live there. There were always alota of jobs available- well at least in the medical field
sendsun
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Schools in Portland are not doing well and have not been for a long time.  We don't live there (we live across the river in Vancouver) so I don't know too much about the area. Just be warned, it rains.....a lot! The economy is eh....could be better, thankfully not too bad. Definitely family friendly though.  Probably one of the most family friendly places I've been to.

matofour
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:42 PM
If you like rain it's perfect for you:)
Rains the majority of the year.
Portkand is weird.
Very hippie. The people are nice, but it's a very alternative place.
Schools are decent (depending on where you go).
But, we found that it's just Portland,bits so far away from everything else. It's just one of those cities that, to go anywhere from Portland is a pain in the butt.
There's s lot to do and see, lots of outdoor activities. It's a nice city, but the weather kills it for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)