Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have half siblings?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:51 PM
  • 201 Replies
2 moms liked this

Do you refer to them as half siblings?

I went home for a visit. I hadn't been back in over 3 years, so I met up with a bunch of people to catch up. A couple of them referred to my brothers as my half brothers and at first it just didn't compute who the crap they were talking about. I mean my brother is my brother. They've been around my entire life. You don't really teach a a small child the difference in half and full siblings. No one has ever referred to my sister as my full-sister. So there is no need to put a half in front of it. That's just confusing. It kind of bugged me though.

So, is it normal to put the half there? Or were the handful of people who did it just putting to much emphasis on not have the same parents?

by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma2mms
by Kristin on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:52 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids are "half" sibings and I hate when people say that. They are brother and sister.

lizzie_ann
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM
As of yesterday I do, and yes I do refer to him as my half brother.
numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I do but they are nothing to me, they are NOT my siblings.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM
I hAve a half sister... But I've never once called her that. She's my sister and I love her as much as I love my full brother who passed away. My DS also has a younger half brother. That is also his brother. He's never heard the term half brother. He does know his brother has a different mom than he does though.
balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM

I have a half brother and sister. We did not grow up together. I've known about them since I was 15, which is 30+ years ago. They've only known about me for 7 years, when our father died. My brother asked about me and everyone shot him down instead of being truthful.A bunch of stuff from our common grandmother's estate came up last month and we've made contact with each other.

I speak about my brother and sister. When explaining the relationship I say half-sibling because most people know that I'm an only child.

GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I have a half sister and only when people ask specific questions will I explain that we have different dads. It's weird to refer to a half sibling as a half.

Mamabear010
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lizzie_ann: As of yesterday I do, and yes I do refer to him as my half brother.

Surprise sibling? I could understand if I hadn't grown up with them. But I did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:56 PM
I have three brothers, two are half. One of them I've never met. The other is my brother period. No if ands our buts abit it. I actually love my oldest brother, who I didn't grow up with, and get along with him better than the youngest of the three who I grew up with. To me there isn't a difference.
Green.Ghost
by Jenn on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM

I have five half brothers and one "whole" brother. And I don't see them differently. 

Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM
I have 3, 2 of which I have only seen once and DGAF about. And the other I grew up with but we are not close and I haven't seen or spoke to him in years.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)