Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think polygamists should be able to adopt?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

After watching the previews for the whole My Five Wives show I have to ask ?_?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have an issue with it. As long as the kids are taken care of and not abused I don't care who adopts. Shoot, I don't even think polygamy should be illegal.
illogicalkat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Why shouldn't they, if they can provide a safe and loving home for a child?

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:01 AM
3 moms liked this

I think anyone in an emotionally and financially stable home life should be able to adopt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I wanted to check out that show -- I am ashamed.

To answer the question: NO.

I think polygamists should be left alone -- I mean, one marriage is valid and the rest are not legally recognized.  So it's just a bunch of adults essentially living together, which I don't see why anyone should bother trying to prosecute or stop.

But to have a child go into that situation -- I don't know if there should be a law against it, but I have no problem with agencies refusing to do it or with birthparents not choosing them, or with social workers noting that the situation is not the best, and perhaps not approving them.  

GiorgiPorgi
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:03 AM

This is a difficult question to answer...

Judging on the needs-based concept for the child, I see no harm in polygamists adopting.  Every child deserves the chance to have a home.

Flipping it to a more psychological point of view, let's try putting the child first.  What would the psychological impacts be on the child?  They would be in schools with friends of children who have two parents while the child has more.  This would make for interesting encounters with others on all ends.

So should it be legal?  That's a very grey area....that's like asking if all children at the age of 13 are mature enough to watch all movies rated PG-13.

PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:05 AM

If they can provide a safe, loving, nurturing home environment and life for the child, of course they should be able to...........and just like anyone else who also provide the aforementioned necessities.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
There are so many kids who need homes I would rather see a child go through a loving polygamist home then a typical mother father abusive home if it was a foster home to foster home or a definite loving home why not pick the loving home!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:08 AM
That family... No... Same thing with the duggars.... I'm sorry it would be basically sending the kid to a group home. I'm a foster mom, I truly believe that those kids deserve attention and love, and how can families with so many kids honestly give that child love and attention, the dad is only around every 5th day, and in the duggar family the older kids raise the younger ones. I think they have the right to live they way they want. But don't take a foster child and force them into a home with that many kids, and where they would have no privacy from the cameras
susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:09 AM

NO. It's an insane environment.

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I can't imagine the want or need to adopt. They already have 24 kids and the mom that wants to adopt has the youngest kids it looks like. I don't understand why she just doesn't try and get pregnant like the other mom is doing. I can't imagine needing more kids. 24 divided by 5 is almost 5 kids each. You'd think that would be enough, but this family works things differently than Sister Wives. They all seem to raise their children more together with all the moms parenting all the kids. My five wives seem to have more problems and the moms all seem very stilted esp considering how close in proximate on they live.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)