• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who do you see to get diagnosed with chronic depression or as bipolar?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I really want to see someone to see if I suffer with the same illnesses as my sister does and my uncle, dad..etc did. I have had on and off horrible depression since I was seventeen years old and I've always been afraid to see someone about it. However now I have three kids and it seems to have gotten worse with each child, lately it's getting unbearable.   Advice?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katemckenzie
by Kate on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this
You regular primary care doc is a good place to start.
runningbear123
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:51 AM

I started with my PC, when it got worse I sought out recommendations for a good psychologist and psychiatrist.  I still see the psychologist, the psych drove me batty.  Always annoyed with me because I didn't want to cry.  I hate that shit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:57 AM

We just switched insurances so I don't see my new PC until Janurary since she was booked up so bad :/

Quoting katemckenzie: You regular primary care doc is a good place to start.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:59 AM

Psychiatrist

Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:59 AM

Start with your Primary doctor and move on to a psychiatrist or psychologist.  They do different things to you'll need to be clear which one you want to see.

A counselor may also be of help for you.

Mom2onebeauty
by *Lin* on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:02 AM
Start with your primary doctor, definitely.
Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:04 AM

If you call in for a sick appointment they have to find a way to fit you in.  >:}  Then talk to her about the depression instead!

They hate it when people do that but they usually understand if you're desperate.

Oh, and tell them it's for an ear ache that's been going on for days, or some other thing that they would have to see you for.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

We just switched insurances so I don't see my new PC until Janurary since she was booked up so bad :/

GirlWithANikon
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:11 AM

I know everyone is saying your primary, but I actually have mental health issues and have since a child and I feel that is a really bad start. The reason is they are not specifically trained but they can hand out meds. So most times ( move a lot so see many drs) they will hand you meds and say here ya go off with ya. Or like my current PCM, she says she doesn't feel comfortable prescribing that "stuff" and now if I am sick with anything she asks is it because I am in need of "speaking with a professional" which is code for are you crazy and making this shit up, call a therapist? I have also had PCM prescribe meds that are DANGERIOUS to mix and cause very, very, very serious side effects because they just didn't know well enough. I could have died as a teen due to it.

The thing with mental health is many symptoms of each illness can run together. Often a person may try 6 different meds at 3 different doses each meds and be like well, what now, I still want to go to bed and never wake up?

If you are taking suggestions, go get a mental health professionals. Call your insurance to get a list. You need a psychologist for coping skills, to find the root of your issues and triggers, and emotional management. You need a psychiatrist for medication and medication management. It takes a lot of tries usually to find the right cocotail and most of these meds take 30+ days to even take full effect. If you see a dr and in week two still feel helpless please realize if you truly have mental illness this will be a life long battle with ups and downs and no magic pill will cure your sadness or mood swings in a week or two. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:12 AM
My GP diagnosed me
katemckenzie
by Kate on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:16 AM
That's not too far away. You can always call and ask if they've had any cancellations, and if you can get on the cancellation waiting list.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)