• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is This Normal For An Emergency Room Visit?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
My grandparents watched my kids on Friday while I was at work. My dd tripped over a pitchfork that was in their barn area and cut her foot open. My grandma put peroxide on it and called my mom(she's a nurse) to ask if they should take her to the hospital. My mom went after work and said dd was fine and that the peroxide should have killed off all the germs. Yesterday the cut was a little red and tender but didn't seem bad.

I noticed her walking odd today and asked to see her foot. It was extremely red, swollen, and the gash was a greenish color. Against my moms advice I took her to the ER and the doctor seemed to not believe what I told him. He kept asking me what she tripped over and would look at me weird every time I told him and would follow it with "and she was barefoot?" as if it that was uncommon. I explained that my grandparents lived out in the country and I knew how silly it sounded but he came off as if he was discrediting my story. My 8yo DS even chimed in to tell him what happened(he saw it) and the doc still seemed like he didn't believe it. The last time he came in he asked me if I lived near the town of our Primary physician and I said no and told him where we lived. Idk why but that was odd to me as well since he was in the room when they made copies of our insurance and took my billing info.

Is this normal doctor behavior? Am I
overreacting to the doctors demeanor?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
drowningmama
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:59 AM
Well we have a dairy farm. Kids run more freely in the country - not wanting to wear shoes or even wanting to wear clothes! Stuff happens - accidents. He wanted to make sure you didn't hurt her. That is all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malissaL
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:59 AM
Yes. You are probably feeling bad about the situation. Don't look to far into it.
Hope that heals fast. I cut my foot open on a rusty trailer hitch and it got infected. Epsom salt soaks took care of it.
calcalmommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:03 AM
He seems like he's just trying to find a reason to get you in trouble!
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:04 AM
I had a similar experience once. They are just being judgmental twits.

When my oldest was a year old, I was in the backyard chatting with my mom and my son was playing barefoot in the grass. There was an ant pile we didn't see and he tripped and fell on it. We didn't realize it at first but when I went to pick him up (he feel and landed on his tummy), he had ants ALL over him.
I dunked him into the pools and got all the ants off.
I was concerned so I took him into urgent care and explained what happened and the nurse I saw was acting so much like the dr you're talking about. Very judgmental. After I told her what happened she said "soooo you were just letting him play in an ant pile?" With the bitchiest look on her face. I just wanted to say "NO, bitch. Didn't you hear me the first time? He FELL. I was maybe 5 feet away from him and no one saw the ant pile.

It's just an accident. Children fall. They step on things. It doesn't mean you were being neglectful or that you are at fault.

I will say though, with my situation, it was the middle of summer in the Deep South and it was hot as hell outside, so that's why my son had his shoes off. It IS a little suspicious that your child was without shoes in the winter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel terrible! My first thought when I picked her up on Friday was "barn germs" but I tend to trust my moms judgement on medical situation. I can count on one hand with fingers left over how many times I've had to take my kiddos to the ER and this is the first time going to one that wasn't a children's hospital. Thank you for the response!

Quoting malissaL: Yes. You are probably feeling bad about the situation. Don't look to far into it.
Hope that heals fast. I cut my foot open on a rusty trailer hitch and it got infected. Epsom salt soaks took care of it.
liltampa71
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:08 AM

Not trying to beat you up, but she should have gone or tentnus shot if nothing else.  Barns are germy.  Your mom should have known better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:09 AM
I'm in Texas and the weather has been crazy between cold and nice. All i could think about was the time my mom took me to the ER for breaking my foot via frozen chicken falling out of the fridge.

Quoting 504bbymami: I had a similar experience once. They are just being judgmental twits.

When my oldest was a year old, I was in the backyard chatting with my mom and my son was playing barefoot in the grass. There was an ant pile we didn't see and he tripped and fell on it. We didn't realize it at first but when I went to pick him up (he feel and landed on his tummy), he had ants ALL over him.
I dunked him into the pools and got all the ants off.
I was concerned so I took him into urgent care and explained what happened and the nurse I saw was acting so much like the dr you're talking about. Very judgmental. After I told her what happened she said "soooo you were just letting him play in an ant pile?" With the bitchiest look on her face. I just wanted to say "NO, bitch. Didn't you hear me the first time? He FELL. I was maybe 5 feet away from him and no one saw the ant pile.

It's just an accident. Children fall. They step on things. It doesn't mean you were being neglectful or that you are at fault.

I will say though, with my situation, it was the middle of summer in the Deep South and it was hot as hell outside, so that's why my son had his shoes off. It IS a little suspicious that your child was without shoes in the winter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:09 AM

As much as it pains me, I have to agree here.  Kids are kids!

Quoting 504bbymami: I had a similar experience once. They are just being judgmental twits. When my oldest was a year old, I was in the backyard chatting with my mom and my son was playing barefoot in the grass. There was an ant pile we didn't see and he tripped and fell on it. We didn't realize it at first but when I went to pick him up (he feel and landed on his tummy), he had ants ALL over him. I dunked him into the pools and got all the ants off. I was concerned so I took him into urgent care and explained what happened and the nurse I saw was acting so much like the dr you're talking about. Very judgmental. After I told her what happened she said "soooo you were just letting him play in an ant pile?" With the bitchiest look on her face. I just wanted to say "NO, bitch. Didn't you hear me the first time? He FELL. I was maybe 5 feet away from him and no one saw the ant pile. It's just an accident. Children fall. They step on things. It doesn't mean you were being neglectful or that you are at fault. I will say though, with my situation, it was the middle of summer in the Deep South and it was hot as hell outside, so that's why my son had his shoes off. It IS a little suspicious that your child was without shoes in the winter.

GirlWithANikon
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:10 AM

I don't live on a farm and its hell trying to keep shoes on my one kid. I would think as a dr he would understand that. What is probably concerning is it was that bad and she didn't get a dr right away. I think I would have taken the child to an acc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:18 AM
That's what my DF said followed by "not everyone understands the hillbilly life". I told the doctor at one point that even I knew how ridiculous it sounded because I kept looking at my grandmother and saying "a pitchfork?" but I grew up in the country and have tangled my leg in barb wire, stepped on a nail, and had my fair share of odd injuries.

Quoting calcalmommy: He seems like he's just trying to find a reason to get you in trouble!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)