Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My neighbor is irritating me.. so off I go with a tractor. Neighbor likely to be a jerk. ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Long story!

We were having issues with our shared natural gas line.  So, the neighbor and hubby dug it up, had a gas guy here to help and they temporarily fixed it... 3 weeks ago.   When they dug up the earth it was nice out.  For a week after that, it was nice out.  Hubby asked the neighbor when they'd finish fixing this issue and cover it up, because the neighbor said that he'd call the gas guy / buy the part and they'd fix it since we paid to have it dug up and have the temporary fix. 

The hole that is there is really deep, like 4 feet, when they dug it up for some reason there was broken glass/shards of metal in the dirt and hole so it's actually a really dangerous hole and dirt pile. 

Well, I have 2 small kids and we cannot even walk to our barn through the normal walk-way with that hole there and they were forecasting snow so I called the neighbor and said "Hey, are you going to come over and get this done this week before the weather hits?"  He said "Oh yeah" but then NEVER CALLED OR CAME and I still, 3 weeks later, have this giant hole in my yard that I have to be anal about with the kids.  Can't just go out and play and relax!

So the weather was bad.  And the hole was covered with snow and I had to stop going out with the kids because they were not listening about the pile of snow that also has the glass/metal shards.  And now it has thawed out today, the hole is now not just filled with glass/metal but now also water.   So it's also a drowning hazard now.  Thank goodness we don't have dogs anymore because they might fall in that horrid hole.

I left a message yesterday asking the neighbor to have the guy come over today and finish this job today/tomorrow because I am tired of this danger in my yard and I will take care of it myself if he doesn't fix it.  He hasn't called back even with a time-table so I am going to just fill in the hole this afternoon with the tractor and since we paid to have it originally dug they can pay to dig it up again if they want to fix it that bad.  The temporary fix should be fine through the winter, anyway.

If they are mad, too freaking bad.

Hubby said he agrees with me but doesn't want to make the neighbor mad or have the neighbor calling our family and yelling.  Frankly, I am SICK of this neighbor calling our family and terrozing them any time he has an issue with us..  because they think that bothering our family will make us "act right".  Seriously? Grrrr.  I don't like this neighbor at all.

ETA: I've decided to hire someone to build a temporary fence and block it all off until they fix it.  And, I'm going to send the neighbor the bill.   Darn neighbor...  Grr...

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AppleJaxx
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Um, why the hell did you wait so long lol. I would have covered it after a week
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM

It was snowing, snowing, snowing. I didn't want to dig up too much of the yard putting the dirt back. 

Quoting AppleJaxx: Um, why the hell did you wait so long lol. I would have covered it after a week

Ecoseem
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Bah, neighbors.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Why was the hole not covered with plywood and roped off right after it was dug? Why would you leave an open hole on your property, in a primary use area, especially when you have small children on the premises? 

Filling in the hole with dirt is only going to compound your problem and increase your costs, because your neighbor obviously doesn't care, so your family is more than likely going to have to eat the costs to have both the gas line & the hole repaired correctly. Then you're probably going to have to bill the neighbor for his share of the costs, possibly even ending up in small claims court to get the money out of him. 

othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I would not have let it go so long. I would have covered it back before  the weather got bad

othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Covering ir with boards and roping it off should have definitely been done right away

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Why was the hole not covered with plywood and roped off right after it was dug? Why would you leave an open hole on your property, in a primary use area, especially when you have small children on the premises? 

Filling in the hole with dirt is only going to compound your problem and increase your costs, because your neighbor obviously doesn't care, so your family is more than likely going to have to eat the costs to have both the gas line & the hole repaired correctly. Then you're probably going to have to bill the neighbor for his share of the costs, possibly even ending up in small claims court to get the money out of him. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I thought about that but that would offer up the illusion of safety and be really enticing to my kiddos.  I'd still ahve to be on high alert to keep the kids out of it, especially with it so muddy and the huge dirt mound with glass/metal would still be there and how do you suggest I cover that??    I don't see the difference, honestly. 

Well, this will impact the neighbor a lot more.  If the gas starts leaking again and they don't fix it, they won't have heat or hot water.  We heat our house and water with wood.  Shrug.   I mean it's a pain in the butt when I have to hang all our clothes to dry or take them to a laundromat but I could just switch to propane anyway, I think it might be cheaper. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Bump!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM

So you cover the dirt pile with a tarp and rope it off too.

Of course you would still need to watch your children around the area, duh, they're kids and need to be watched. But just because you'd have to watch them anyway doesn't absolve you from taking some responsibility to protect them from possible injury (or worse injury) should they get into what they shouldn't. Your argument is invalid. By your logic, why should we bother to cover electrical outlets to keep our little ones from sticking things into them if we still have to watch that they don't do it? Why should we bother wearing seatbelts if we still have to watch the that nobody hits us? (extreme example, but you get the idea). 

And if the gas leak is on your property and it breaks & leaks gas into the now covered hole (which will have air pockets in it that the gas can fill unless you tamp it down very well), and then for some reason explodes, on whose property will the explosion take place? How close to your home? 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I thought about that but that would offer up the illusion of safety and be really enticing to my kiddos.  I'd still ahve to be on high alert to keep the kids out of it, especially with it so muddy and the huge dirt mound with glass/metal would still be there and how do you suggest I cover that??    I don't see the difference, honestly. 

Well, this will impact the neighbor a lot more.  If the gas starts leaking again and they don't fix it, they won't have heat or hot water.  We heat our house and water with wood.  Shrug.   I mean it's a pain in the butt when I have to hang all our clothes to dry or take them to a laundromat but I could just switch to propane anyway, I think it might be cheaper. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Call again, tell him if he doesn't get it done by xxx then you're refilling the hole.  Then he has no right to be pissed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)