Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate medicating my son.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
He is ADHD and has bad impulsive issues. We are on Thanksgiving break and I usually do not make him take his meds when there is no school. He is on a low dose and his grades have improved immensely since taking it. Anyway. He has already kicked and smacked his little brother about 6 times in 30 minutes. Not being mean. He thinks he is funny. I am making him take his meds and I feel shitty. But my youngest doesn't deserve to be hurt all day. =/
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM
I'd be a nightmare if I wasn't medicated. Sometimes it's the lesser evil, don't hate doing what you have to do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Have you tried coffee?

Did you punish him for smacking his brother and thinking its funny?

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, it seems obvious to me that the medication does a lot more help than harm. There's nothing wrong with treating a chemical imbalance in his brain. Clearly he needs it.

VibeRant
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

What type of meds is he on? Reason for asking; my ds was on meds and told me one day that he was having suicidal thoughts. Asked pharmacist and suicidal thoughts is a side affect of many ADD and ADHD meds.

SilverSterling
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I'll see your Son and give you an 18yr a 12yr with ADHD and a 13yr with ADD. The 12yr and 18yr both have impulse issues and the 18yr refuses all medications. I have done what you have done and in the long run it does your son more harm then good to stop his medications even for short times. 

TheLadyAmalthea
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM
He needs it. I've also had debates with myself about possibly getting medications for my son. He has autism and has high anxiety and OCD. As of right now, he is doing ok, so we haven't had to use meds yet. You are doing what is best for your son. You aren't a case of lazy parenting, your child has a genuine need for something to help balance him out so he can function easier. Don't beat yourself up over it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

First, he is not ADHD, he has ADHD - huge difference there.

Second, if he had Diabetes or a heart condition or other "legitimate" disease (my assumption, since you think it is okay to not give your child his needed medication whenever you feel he needs a break from it), would you withold the medication from him during school breaks then, too? 

Your child has an illness. Just because it is a behavioral disorder doesn't mean it doesn't have a physical component (he needs medication to function well) and he should get his medication everyday, all year 'round, just like a child who needs his insulin or heart medication would. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Don't feel bad. I'm a teacher and a mom of a son with ADHD. Some kids NEED it.

Before meds, my son was very behind in school. He was aggressive, so he had no friends. He absolutely hated school. He was in trouble every single day.

We tried 4 different meds before finding one that didn't make him a zombie and didn't give him bad side effects.

Now, he loves school. He hasn't been in trouble at school all year. He loves to learn and is catching up. He also has a lot of friends.

Meds make his quality of life so much better. I don't give him meds for me or for his teachers. I give him meds for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM
I do believe it's legitimate. For two years we have gone the natural route with diet and other modifications. He is to the point in school where he was failing and he is very smart. So I agreed to the meds to help with school. On non school days, we stick to the diet and routine. Only now, it seems that it's worse when we don't do meds.

And his doctor agrees that medication breaks are a good thing and help with the longer term side is effects. I am not stupid. I just don't want him on medicine his entire life and want him to learn to function and control himself with out it as well as with it.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

First, he is not ADHD, he has ADHD - huge difference there.

Second, if he had Diabetes or a heart condition or other "legitimate" disease (my assumption, since you think it is okay to not give your child his needed medication whenever you feel he needs a break from it), would you withold the medication from him during school breaks then, too? 

Your child has an illness. Just because it is a behavioral disorder doesn't mean it doesn't have a physical component (he needs medication to function well) and he should get his medication everyday, all year 'round, just like a child who needs his insulin or heart medication would. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Yes, a little coffee help for a few hours. But I don't have any today as we aren't regular coffee drinkers.

I explained to him he hurt his brother physically and hurt his feelings. And I asked him to apologize, which he did. He sat on the couch for a while to calm himself down while I finished breakfast. I hate making him feel "punished" for being impulsive, but I want him to have consequences and know why he is having to have a time out. He took his pill right after I made this post and now he is playing calmly with his brother, thankfully.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Have you tried coffee?

Did you punish him for smacking his brother and thinking its funny?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)