• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms to teenagers!! Music censorship.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 87 Replies
My dd is 13 and has been exploring different musical genres a lot lately. She used to listen to mainly country, Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood, then it was boy bands, now shes listening to a lot of screamo type music.

I am completely onboard with letting her explore her musical tastes and will even be taking her to a concert in December for her favorite band, Blood on the Dancefloor. My music tastes run more towards heavy metal/punk so I feel I am more open to alternative music genres. The only time I've ever really censored was when I caught her listening to Insane clown posse which was a little much for a 12 year old I thought.

My ex husband and his wife have been very vocal about the fact they feel I am not properly parenting by letting her listen to these bands. Which doesn't make a lick of sense as they prefer hard core gangster rap which is ten times worse than anything I've heard my dd listen to. They think she's going to come home with loads of tattoos and piercings since the singers she likes have them.

Do you censor your teenage children's music or do you allow them freedom in exploring their own tastes? How would you react if someone negatively viewed your parenting due to the music you allowed your children to listen to?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM
4 moms liked this

I never even censored my toddler's music. I don't know what would have to possess me to try and do it with my teenager's. If someone doesn't like my parenting, they can come kiss my perky ass anytime.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Its harder the older she gets because she likes to push the limits on what is acceptable. As someone who has never really been huge on music censorship I've only drawn the line on ICP. I don't have a problem with their music in general, I just don't find it appropriate for a young child to listen to. Once she's matured to the point I feel she can recognize musical satire I don't think it will be that big of a deal. As far as her dad goes I think its ridiculous to say if she likes bands with tattoos she's going to go out and get covered the minute she can.

Quoting Sister_Someone:

I never even censored my toddler's music. I don't know what would have to possess me to try and do it with my teenager's. If someone doesn't like my parenting, they can come kiss my perky ass anytime.

Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM
I don't censor my 13 year old's music. I don't see the need. I grew up listening to whatever I wanted and I'm not a criminal or psychopath.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I dont even censor my 7 year olds music, so I seriously doubt I will censor when he is a teen. I dont think listening to a certain type of music determines how you are going to turn out.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM
No. Music is just music.
mommymonkey
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I never really have and most likely never will censor music in my house. We listen to everything here.

APunchInTheFace
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM
I don't believe in censorship when it comes to music.

Even my toddler listens to hard core death metal and other types of music. One of her favorite is ICP and she also like korn, Metallica and Eminem.

I allow it 100%
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM

We do not censor much in our house.  Certainly not music.

Reading.Rainbow
by Brigid on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM

For sure.

I want bright, happy children.

Their subconscious has a lot to do with that.

pinktardis
by Pinky on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:32 AM
I know it's horrible but I so want to ban whatever horrible boy band/ fad group is popular when my daughter is a teen. I don't want to censor her but I just can't stand that stuff myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)