• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD serious here.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
I grew up with very high levels of ADHD. I tool riddlin (sp?) And concerta (sp?) When I was diagnosed at 8. I really do believe my 3 year old has it already.

Yes I know it is to early to tell. But I know the signs. The not listening(he knows better, to smart for his own good) and the acting out. He doesn't act like a lot of other 3 year olds.

Now what I was getting at. I was talking to hubs about this and when he gets into school. It really scares me because I was terrible in school. I don't want him to be like that. He is being put into Christian school this upcoming year. We'll hubs stated he will not be putting him on medication. Well I told him once you see he is doing terrible in school and getting terrible grades you will probably change your mind.

Now am I wrong for thinking this way.? Even now trying to get him to do his abc or shapes, anything with having to sit down and learn he can't take more than 5 mins of it. I would just like some advice on this. Is hubs right or me? If he needs help I will get it for him. Medication or not.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Anyone know anything about this?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Bump
dee06
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I have my son on medication for his ADHD and it was the best thing we ever did for him. BUT I wouldn't do it to a 4 year old that just starts school. I don't even think a doctor will do that at that age. I'd wait until your son is in elementary and then decide from there

Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I would change his diet first. But, that is me, I tend to look for all natural approaches

j3st3r
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM

My DD is the same way, lots of early symptoms of ADHD.  However, I agree with your DH that medication should be the last strategy you try.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM
My son started meds at 5 years old. It was the best choice for him. DS started seeing a child psychiatrist at 4 years old. Go ahead and make an appointment. Let him/her monitor your son for the next year or so and then make a decision. The psychiatrist might be able to talk some sense in to your Dh if it's needed.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Adhd is a developmental disorder, medication only manages the symptoms.

You need work on aiding the brain development rather than medicating.

3 year olds learn through play anyway. You aren't going to teach anything in s traditional setting.
You need to work on putting coping mechaniss in place, show the brain how to get that rush of dopamine without the medication.
I'm not saying medication is ineffective, but if we look at adhd for what it is (a developmental disorder) and not a mental health issue- there is so much more we can do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM
I listened to the teachers and put my kid on meds at 5 years old.

I wish i had waited and used it as a last resort.

He is 11 now, and he has built up a tolerance to most meds. I also have trouble imagining him ever having a life without pills, and that really bothers me. What kind of damage am i doing to his little body and mind by him having to take three medications a day?
handy0318
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM

While medication might become necessary, I would only go there as a very last resort. It seems too soon to be thinking of medicating him... He's only three and yes, not listening, being a smarty pants and acting out is pretty typical for a three year old. Even with meds, he's going to have to learn how to properly behave...at this age, you and your dh need to teach him ... even though it might be a struggle. Honestly, if he's still very active and acting out, perhaps school isn't the best idea. Give him more time to mature and learn some self-discipline. 

The medications can come with serious side effects, including depression and thoughts of suicide. Plus, several studies have shown that even with medications, the behaviors remain.

There are many things that can help ADHD that do not include the use of drugs... diet can help avoid triggers, martial arts can provide both outlet and discipline, yoga can help calm and focus, behavior therapy can help teach self-control and self-calming skills, just some mild caffeine can help calm without the more serious side effects that prescribed meds can cause.

When we adopted our daughter, she was completely out of control and it seemed like people lined up around the block to tell us to put her on meds.... We didn't though. We did get some family counseling, we worked on giving her coping skills, we did alternate types of schooling... and she's managed to get through her school years (just 6 months before graduation) without any drugs and unless someone knew her past, they would never guess she struggled with ADHD.

There is a wealth of information out there on how to treat ADHD without the use of drugs. I encourage you to check out what else can be done before putting him on anything. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Our son is 5 and has ADHD. We cleaned up our diet and put him on a schedule. He also started martial arts and sees a behavioral therapist weekly. His behavior has changed completely. He does struggle in certain areas of school so I work more with him on those. His teacher has noticed a big improvement too. I wouldn't even considering medicating until every other option has been tried.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)