Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you deal when someone over parents you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
So yesterday my husband and I took our kids to meet their little cousins for the first time. We have not seen this family in a few years so when my husbands cousin called and said she had moved about 20 minutes from us we loaded up and went to visit.
Some how we all ended back at our house where we cooked and they stayed the night.
Problem is her husband. He was constantly over parenting me. He'd correct my child (very rudely) before I could open my mouth to say something.
Now before anyone says learn to control your brats and other people wouldn't have to do it for you, I watched my kids like a hawk because the cousins kids are very small 2&1 and my 5 & 8 year old aren't use to playing with small ones so I didn't want them to get rough or leave stuff in the floor for the baby to put in her mouth.
Well anyway this morning the two year old sits down on the floor and she sat on my 5 year olds DS so my 5 year old pulled the DS out from under her and the little girl nearly toppled over. Before I could say anything or even get my mouth open the husband was asking why would you push her? Do you need your butt whooped? And why would you snatch something from her?

My little girl was so confused and didn't know what to say and apparently I was giving the husband a death glare because my husbands cousin jumped in with well she sat on a video game. She was just trying to get it out from under her. You need to chill out.
It happened all night. Every little thing my kids did pissed him off and he'd say something. Don't run. Your gonna make my kid run and she will get in trouble. Wtd this is my house.... Don't tell my kid they can't run in their own house. I'm the mom. I'll do that if I feel its needed. And actually they were jogging a circle around the couch.
Mean while their kid found a crayon and drew all over my kids walls and he got mad at my kid for leaving this stuff out for his kid to find and get in trouble over.

I tried to be polite but my god I was so glad when 9 pm came and I could send my kids to bed.

How do you deal with someone who over parents? I don't wanna do what I want to do and say hey dick I'll parent my own kids. Thanks.

He even got mad when dd put a balloon under her shirt and said she was pregnant 2. FYI she is 5 and I'm very pregnant right now. He told her that was disgusting and to stop because his two year old thought it was funny. Seriously glad they left as soon as he woke up. The kids were adorable and I enjoyed talking with my husbands cousin and letting all the kids meet and play but my gos her husband made the whole evening so strained and then this morning was bitxhing because my kid was watching another fucking Mexican show (Dora) and this he found OK to say in front of my kids....
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Sorry for typos, I'm lazy and didn't correct them all lol
MommaTurbo
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM

It is so hard to tell troll posts from real people some times....

IF this is a legit story, I would have put that guy in his place the second time he was rude. 

Not the first, because I would have still been trying to figure him out, but the second time? Nope, you're done. 

Hubris_Huntsman
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM
I have no tolerance for that so it's likely I would only meet up with the wife and kids from now on.

If he was around again and did it, I would say, "you've got to stop getting on my kids. I'll handle it." If he's got a problem with that, and doesn't want to hang around us anymore, oh well.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Sounds like he didn't want To be there.
rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Well first of all I fantasize about throat punching them and then think about what the results of that would be long term and simply say "Hey dick I'll parent my own kids thanks!" 

But I'm kind of a bitch. I don't let other people push my kid around.

BalderdashMom
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I think that's a tough situation. I would wait until the kids were sleeping and pull him aside and ask him nicely to refrain from interacting with the kids that way. Be fran and tell him he is undermining you. Be even more clear that his thoughts and opinions about it aren't relevat in the slightest.

LUCK TO YOU

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM

You should have said what you wanted to say. Until you do he'll continue his behavior.

The first couple of times I would have completely ignored him and corrected my own kid calmly. If he didn't get the hint, I would have chastised him in front of everyone.

BalderdashMom
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Quoting MommaTurbo:

It is so hard to tell troll posts from real people some times....

IF this is a legit story, I would have put that guy in his place the second time he was rude. 

Not the first, because I would have still been trying to figure him out, but the second time? Nope, you're done. 

I've been in a similar situation. The difference with me was that we were the guests in another person's home. We left and drove home after the talk because the man I spoke to told me it was his hoe and we would all be expected to obey his rules. He undermined everything my DH and I said. It was very uncomfortable.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM
My SIL does that. She told my 8 year old DD not to chew on her own necklace in our own house because it would teach her 2 yr old to do it. 2 yr old wasn't even in the room. Then an hour later 2 yr old stuck something in her mouth and SIL said see to my 8 yr old. Bitch please. I avoid her as much as possible.
bookwormx4
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Sorry but he would have been not so politely TOLD to get the fuck out of my house and not to return. My house, my kids, my rules. Deal with it or shut the fuck up and get the fuck out.

I also do not tolerate someone correcting my children without my express permission.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)