Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The YMCA wants to move my 9 year old Third grader to

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:45 AM
  • 29 Replies
The 5th / 6th grade team.
Because he's a big kid.
I'm afraid he wouldn't be able to make friends...
I'm not sure.
They won't do it if I say no.
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM

is he smashing the smaller kids during play or sports? don't mean that to sound bad.

Bubbie0809
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM
No, he kinda hangs back
To make sure he doesn't.
He's not an aggressive kid at all.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

is he smashing the smaller kids during play or sports? don't mean that to sound bad.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM
My little brother had this problem. He was ginormous, head and shoulders bigger than the kids on his football team. He was kept in his age group though.

Maybe he can give it a shot, if it doesn't work out he could go back.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM

No way. Just because he is bigger physically doesnt mean he is emotionally ready. 

blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Can he try it for a while and go back if it doesn't work out?
Bubbie0809
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM
I think a school team would leave him in his age group.
I am so torn :/

Quoting Danesmommy1: My little brother had this problem. He was ginormous, head and shoulders bigger than the kids on his football team. He was kept in his age group though.

Maybe he can give it a shot, if it doesn't work out he could go back.
highlandmum
by Spunky on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I would only move him if his skill level was that of a grade 5/6.  We have a couple big boys on our teams and no one ever says anything, our teams are done by age.  No one can play down but a child can play up if their skills are exceptional.

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM
I would not let them move him. He should be with the children his age regardless of his size.
VicVinegar
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM
My df played with the 8th graders on their football team when he was in 6th grade. To this day he says he's glad he did BC by the time he had to play kids his own size it made him a lot better. He did say it was hard work though, but well worth the effort
kappalopokis
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Is he physically able to keep up? Is this a sport that he might pursue long term?

Hinestly, where sports are concerned I try to make the choices that might help my child get a little money for college in a few years.

What sport is it? Is it his size or his skill? We have a very tall 2nd grader on my stepsons basketball team. Other parents say its unfair to let him play, until they see him in action... Then there's my SS, who will HAVE to move up next year because of his skill, even though his age would allow him to stay back.

How does your son feel about it?

If it's a contact sport, basketball or football for example, the older boys will have more muscle tone even if they're smaller. That means harder and more precise contact.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)