Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you give the items away?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I posted on a local online yard sale site about a bunch of girls clothes size 10.  There are 5 pairs of jeans, 12 long sleeve shirts, 3 hoodies, 1 heavy jacket, 2 pairs of sneakers, 1 sweater, 6 pair of leggings, and a couple of random things.  I posted it for $50 for the entire lot...to include a pair of skates. 

This lady asked if she could have them all for her kid.  She said something about her husband losing his job and some other stuff.

I checked out her FB page.  There are NO pictures of any little girl on there.  Just an infant boy.

I feel like she is trying to scam me.

I have had one other person ask for more pictures which I sent a few minutes ago.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:18 PM
If i didn't feel she was being truthful then no. I don't sell things unless i actually need the money anyway, so I'd have to be 100% sure the person needed the items.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:20 PM

I think she should offer something for them, even if it was $10.  Some people try to resell the item(s).

I don't bother selling, it can be a pain.  I just donate everything to Goodwill and take the tax writeoff. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Quoting myempyreofdirt: If i didn't feel she was being truthful then no. I don't sell things unless i actually need the money anyway, so I'd have to be 100% sure the person needed the items.

I prefer to sell the items.  That way I know someone isn't taking them for resale.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

No

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Nope. I don't understand why people think "For Sale" means "Just kidding! It's free"

CheerioHolder
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:27 PM
I would tell her if the items don't sell you'll get back to her.

I donate most of the stuff my kids grow out of. I wouldn't like someone actually asking me to give them something for free though, especially if I clearly had a price posted.
Famousglm714
by Gina on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Nope. I don't understand why people think "For Sale" means "Just kidding! It's free"

myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:10 PM
We have a couple of local charities I like to donate to. The dv organization sells them, but the proceeds go to dv victims. I'll give away things to individuals, but usually people I know or meet through friends.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting myempyreofdirt: If i didn't feel she was being truthful then no. I don't sell things unless i actually need the money anyway, so I'd have to be 100% sure the person needed the items.

I prefer to sell the items.  That way I know someone isn't taking them for resale.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Nope. Scammer troll those sites preying on soft hearts. She's probably just going to resell the items herself.

Velvetfog
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Not in that situation. I just donate clothes but if I'm selling something it's for sale, period.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)