Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'll have to say no, I think.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I'm in between jobs right now. Looking for work and volunteering in the mean time, as I usually do. I volunteer either way, but when I'm looking and don't have a job to go to everyday, the volunteering increases. I keep it simple though, because my main goal is to find permanent employment after all.

So, people never cease to amaze me sometimes. I am volunteering with the city for a different different departments and organizations. One of them is the local science center, as I have a passion and love for art, and do some myself, and I also love science and have a degree in such.

Two people have abruptly quit the center, so guess who they asked to teach the classes until they hire new people? Yup, you guessed it. Me, the VOLUNTEER. They know I have been looking for a job, that I was interested in possible placement there, that I have the needed education and skills and that I have looked for the job posting on the city employment site. Do you think they said, "Hey, the spot is listed now, apply and make sure to include your resume and we'll see if you could be a fit."...No. How about, "You know, now that the postilion is open, since two people decided to jump ship, we'd love to give you a try at a class or two to see how it feels for you and looks to us?"...No. I get, Hey, would you mind filling in and teaching the classes for our two teachers that have left. You will have to come up with a few class plans, but you know what you're doing, right? Since you have watched and helped with the classes so many times over the past couple months. ???!

Um...so it's basically like you get a qualified, trained and mildly experienced person for free until you find two more to hire on that will get a real paycheck, and how much will you bust your asses to that as long as I'm coming in for free???

Sorry, but I think I will have to leave this volunteer gig soon:( Too bad, because I really did like it when I was expected to be a volunteer with simple duties and not being asked to be a unpaid employee for the city.

It's not a sour grapes thing, its a I don't want to set my self up to get taken advantage of thing. Any time extra that I put in to any lesson plans and all that is time I could be using to find paying work. Now I just go and help with the class. Going over the lesson plan, helping getting things prepped and aiding in assisting the kids in their lesson objectives and projects and helping with clean up. Then I leave and do the things that need to be done in my life with out thinking about it again until I go back, with no pressure to do so.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momngram
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM

You should tell them how you feel.

ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM

i'd turn in a resume... maybe they'll take the hint???

AugustMomma
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Maybe since you know it's open and posted you should apply for the position.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM
You make a lot of sense to me in your analyzing the situation. I am wondering how you can survive so long without an actual paycheck. Otherwise, gosh, what a great way to spend your spare time, good for you!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM
I would be a bit taken aback by that. Maybe they don't realize how qualified you are. I'd hand them a resume.
Dardenella
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM

So, apply for the job?

ShaMac
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Maybe that was a hint to turn in your resume.
dsadang
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM

How well do you know the people that you volenteer for? Did they know you would be interested in something like this? I mean, I understand if you are really close to some one at the center or organization who knows you have the education for the slot opened, but if you aren't that close with them then maybe they didn't know. I agree though and understand where you are coming from. I would have a conversation with someone and see why you weren't thought of as an option for apply. Say something now cause it might be a misunderstanding.

yksmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Tell them you'll teach one class and that you've filled out the application for the position.

Some people can't think outside the box - they have to find someone to cover, so they get so focused on finding someone to cover that they don't see the real, longterm solution to their problem.
Candiebears
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM

That.

Quoting ilovemykids323:

i'd turn in a resume... maybe they'll take the hint???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)