Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ex asked me to pay for their trip *update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 89 Replies
update***
I told ex that i cant afford to pay any part of the trip and i suggested he ask his parents for help, since he already got excited. We all spoke on 3 way and told them the situation and they said that they will pay. Apparently, ex had told them that he had everything handled so they didn't know that he asked me first for help. Anyway, they talked privately then ex called me back explaining that his dad said this will be the only time they'll bail him out ONLY because they already planned some stuff to do with Ds.

I honestly didn't think they would be able to help but thank God they can. Now I know better than to rely on ex and to not let him talk to Ds about any trips until they are paid for. We lucked out this time for sure and I'm so thankful for the ex inlaws that Ds can have his trip and Christmas. Poor kid has been through so much this year ...i was really hating to have to break his heart.

Thank you ladies for the sound advice! I'll definitely not let myself be taken advantage by ex, lesson learned! Good night 😊

At the beginning if the month, ex proposed that he take Ds to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving. We talked about it and I eventually agreed. He mentioned nothing about being low on cash and I assumed that he was gonna foot the expenses. We talked a few times after that and still he never mentioned any money, or asking me to help out some.

Fast forward to yesterday he calls again to tell me that he'll be picking up Ds on Tuesday evening (no school Wednesday) and I said ok. Then he asks me if I have some money for him because he still needed to buy the tickets, they were to go by train. I thought he had all that done by then!! Ds is already super stoked to go visit his grandparents so I didn't know what to do because I'm low on cash as well. Tickets are $250 (rounded out) for both of them plus I was going to give ds $40 spending money anyway. So that's $300 on such sort notice.

Anyway I tell him that id call him back because I needed to figure something out. I make my calculations and I will be tight if I do give him the money. Besides, a lot of it is for Christmas. I haven't told him what I've decided yet, I will tonight.

So, would you sacrifice that money to keep your kid happy or should I just break it to him that its just not possible to go?

Ds is 7, btw.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheyAreMyLoves
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM
4 moms liked this
I'd be pretty pissed ex put me in that position.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:08 PM

No way would I pay for the ex to go.   Thats ridiculous.  So if the adult doesnt go - then the kid doesnt go.   If the kid knew it would affect Christmas - he wouldnt want to go.

TheyAreMyLoves
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM
He can't pay for any of it? Not even half?
I'd keep the spending money, tell the ex to come up with half or no trip.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Trust me, I am but I'm thinking of my Ds. I don't know whether to take from Christmas, he's really excited for this trip, or have Christmas as planned but tell him the trip is a no go. Poor kid:(

Quoting TheyAreMyLoves: I'd be pretty pissed ex put me in that position.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:10 PM

the kid is 7. He would get over it. I would not foot the bill. 

two4one
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this

He played you. No reason you should pay at all for anything. That is his kid to. Tell your son that dad won't be taking him now because he didn't buy the tickets. Better your son starts learning wha ta dead beat dad is now than later.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I'd tell him to fuck off. If he wants to take him, on a trip as his parent that's obviously on him. What a loser.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM
He has some nerve.
KyliesMom5
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM
I'd probably pay for my child's ticket but not the ex.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM
I told him I can help with half but he said he needed the full amount to purchase the tickets, then he'll reimburse me. I don't trust him and told him no, to give me time to figure something out and I'd get back to him by tonight.

Quoting TheyAreMyLoves: He can't pay for any of it? Not even half?
I'd keep the spending money, tell the ex to come up with half or no trip.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)