Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My nephew saved his life but someone died

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
My nephew is 18 and a freshman at college. Over the weekend he was hiking with his friend when they all of a sudden her screaming. My nephew, Cesar, looked down and saw a boy and a man drowning. Before his friend had even pulled out his cell phone to call 911, Cesar jumped down into the water to save the boy who was only 9. Between the freezing water, the current, and the boy panicking, he almost drowned himself, but his friend reach him 1/2 way and dragged the young boy out while my nephew held onto a tree trunk catching his breath to be able to get out. Unfortunately the boy's dad did not make it. Cesar was treated for hypothermia and is thankfully ok, but he's distraught over the death of the father. I cry every time I think about it.

http://wnep.com/2014/11/23/breaking-water-rescue-at-nay-aug-park/
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM
How tragic
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Very

Quoting thenameshailie: How tragic
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Bittersweet. As a parent I'm thankful the child was saved. He couldn't do both and I hope someday he finds peace. Your nephew is a hero.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM

:'(

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM

They say that the guilt of not being able to save someone is really awful, even if you did everything you could and saved everyone else.

furbabymum
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I know a guy who drowned saving someone in a lake. The person he saved lived but he did not. I'm glad your nephew made it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Way to go Cesar. He did a great deed. It's a shame about the dad though.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:14 PM

That is so sad. Your nephew is very brave.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:14 PM
I agree, not that the father's life was less important, but the dad didn't know how to swim and he jumped in after his son. Obviously what he wanted most was for his son to live, Cesar made that possible.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Bittersweet. As a parent I'm thankful the child was saved. He couldn't do both and I hope someday he finds peace. Your nephew is a hero.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:15 PM
He's such an amazing kid, I hope that it doesn't traumatized him long term

Quoting B1Bomber:

They say that the guilt of not being able to save someone is really awful, even if you did everything you could and saved everyone else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)