Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dogs in jail program

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this
I did a transport to a prison today and saw the dog program. I started thinking about how many inmates we have long term. Due to continuance after continuance on their as some sit for a year or more.

A dog rescue and training program would be incredible in so many ways. My county shelter is a kill shelter due to over population.

The stress relief of loving and caring for an animal is amazing.

And the training these animal could offer to us officers is incredible as well. We see all to often animal shot animal shot all over the news.

I am looking in to how to approach the supervisory boards about this. There were links about how to bring I to our jail and community. I am sure it would be wildly supported.

I'm actually excited!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tddncw2010
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:51 PM
We have a dog program in the prison I work in. It's amazing the amount of well trained dogs that get adopted out. The inmates have nothing to do but work with their dogs.

The dogs are perfect for small homes because teyes are used to small spaces. They are well socialized because they are constantly around people and noise.
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Sounds like a good idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Cool? Most of these programs are not for hard core inmates if that is what you are thinking.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Quoting thenameshailie: Sounds like a good idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Well no and yes. I mean I look at all of our inmates as hard core and capable. At any moment they are capable of doing harm. They have 24-7 to scheme. However, the prison said there is a strict policy of screening to qualify for the program. I am sure the agency that assists in starting would help figure out screening.

Much like we screen our inside and outside inmate workers, we would screen these.

There is a local county jail that participates in this. It is the largest county in my metro area. They do very well with it.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Cool? Most of these programs are not for hard core inmates if that is what you are thinking.
Hubris_Huntsman
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:02 PM
That sounds amazing. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)