Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I make a special Thanksgiving dinner JUST for him?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
My d.h. has to work through the Thanksgiving holiday & the following weekend. He is going to be working 14 hour days from Thurs. Through Sunday, plus will not have a day off for over 2 weeks. He had the weekend route & on call phone this past weekend, too.

He will miss Thanksgiving dinner at my parents' house. I told him I would bring a plate home for him, but he is infuriatingly persnickety when it comes to food. I HATE cooking for him, because instead of showing appreciation, all he ever does is critisize. I have told him more than once that if there weren't kids in the house to cook for, I would never cook for him. Still, I can't very well cook for myself and the kids & say he can't have any, so he does get the benefit of being cooked for, no matter how unappreciative he may be.

He does not want me to bring him home a plate of leftovers. He says he expects me to cook him a full five course Thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings, just for HIM! The rest of us will be full from Grandma's feast. I told him no way!

If he was a nicer, more appreciative guy when it comes to being cooked for, I might do it, just because I feel bad about him working so hard and also missing the Holiday, but honestly, despite the sacrifice of him working so hard, I do not feel he deserves it. He would only critisize everything, anyway. If he did not like the way I made it, in fact, he'd throw the whole meal in the trash and make himself a sandwich. He's done that before.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Snakecharm
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Bring him a plate tell him take it or leave it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Yup. That is exactly what I am gonna do. Just wanted to see what the always amusing and often insightful ladies of M.C. had to say about it. ;)

Quoting Snakecharm: Bring him a plate tell him take it or leave it.
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM
The only difference between the meal you're eating and the leftovers he would get is a few hours. He could pound sand.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Personally I would make a meal for my husband, but he is very appreciative of my cooking.  In your case, where he won't like it anyway, nope.  He can eat leftovers.

N_maricle
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I wouldn't. Maybe if he was greatful, but I wouldnt cook for anyone who just complains. Which is why I don't cook for my bil. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Maybe I would, but not if he was a certified ass about my cooking as your DH seems to be. Give him a fiver and send him to McDonald's. Happy McThanksgiving!

susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Why are you with someone who disrespects you so badly? This is emotional abuse. He is teaching your kids that this is the proper way to treat one's wife, and you are teaching them that a wife should just accept it. I don't give a damn how hard he works, if he abuses you when he gets home.

ATG499
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I wouldn't even bring him a plate. After all, that was his request!

CafeMom Tickers     CafeMom Tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Fuck. No. I'll bring you leftovers, or get some take out. But I wouldn't be spending $100 or so to make one dinner for him.

Schmoopi
by QueenOfAllThings on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Leave him. With a turkey frozen dinner to remember you by. How he treats you is NOT acceptable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)