Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Racism and income

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
Do you think that poor non-Caucasian families face more racism than those at higher income levels? The reason I ask is I work at a very large firm with a fair amount of diversity and primarily white collar, higher paying jobs. I'm not sure the subject of racism comes up, even as it relates to things like Furgeson. Thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I have several very successful black friends. Racism is alive and well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM
So do I, but none of them actually ever discuss racism with me. It's not like this site where it comes up frequently.

Quoting Rangermom772:

januaryqueen
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:57 PM
I don't know. I know some black trash and I also have black friends for whom I have the utmost respect. No different than white people. Racism doesn't make sense to me. Every race has its trash and it's respectable people. I discern based on character. Skin color is not important.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:58 PM
I completely agree.

Quoting januaryqueen: I don't know. I know some black trash and I also have black friends for whom I have the utmost respect. No different than white people. Racism doesn't make sense to me. Every race has its trash and it's respectable people. I discern based on character. Skin color is not important.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:01 PM
I think a lot of it depends on where you live. I think certain regions are stuck in a different decade.

I have encountered a lot of what people describe as racism when I was young and poor. I was followed around stores and had to empty my purse, even though I didn't take anything. I have been harassed by the police. It wasn't racism, but it was a different kind of prejudice.
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM

One friend of mine that I have known since we were five talks a lot about with me. I have learned so much from her.

Quoting Anonymous 1: So do I, but none of them actually ever discuss racism with me. It's not like this site where it comes up frequently.
Quoting Rangermom772:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)