• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So depressed... never thought i would have to

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I never thought that after 6 years of my husband being in the military that we would have to file for welfare. He got out in June due to medical issues (back and hip problems) that prevented him from being able to do his job. He got a job right away with a temporary employer where you work for so long and then they hire you or you go on your way. Well instead of either hiring or letting him go after the 90 day mark they just let him keep working as a temp. The company he was actually working at has really messed up management and they ended his assignment at the beginning of the month with no warning. 

Now I am sitting here trying to fill out paperwork for welfare and it is so hard. Not just the confusing aspect of the paperwork, but just having to at all. I am hoping that he gets a job soon because i will spend this week fishing for all the information required and mail it next monday on my day off. Yes, I work full time and my main concern at this point is going to be insurance since his transitional care from the military ends in december, but we will need the food stamps too if he doesnt get a job in the next week or so. 

I guess I am just having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that it feels like we are right back to where we started 7 years ago. He joined the military to better our situation, get us financially stable, and by no fault of his own that stability disappeared. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM

BUMP!

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:02 PM
He didn't have enough time in to be medically retired? Does he get anything from the VA?
tbulone
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Welfare isn't bad. Use it while you need it. It sounds like you and dh are hard working people. You'll be back on your feet in no time! Hugs, hang in there
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM

He needs to apply for service connected disability. If he gets service connected disability through the VA there are more benefits. Since he was active military when he became disabled he should qualify for it to be service connected. Good luck..hope things are look up soon for your family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:04 PM
I'm sorry, mama. I'm sure it will all work out even though it seems like you're back at square one now.
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:05 PM
It's okay. Life has a way of knocking us on our ass and then we have to start over. And hopefully end up in a better position than before.
jcm28
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM
good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM
Has he applied for VA disability? Has he used his educational benefits?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:19 PM
He should check with the Va. Good luck to you hope everything works out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2014 at 10:09 AM

He has been sent to job connect, has used some of his GI BIll and has an associates in electronic engineering but we live in a very small town and we are an hour away from the nearest VA medical facility and 1.5 hours from any other services offered so it is very difficult to get there. We just sent his application and resume to one of the prominent mines in the area and he also has one in with the sheriffs office for when the sheriff is changed and there is an opening but that doesnt happen until january. He was not medically retired unfortunately and was only medically seperated so it is difficult to deal with everything while still trying to find a job he can do physically. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

He needs to apply for service connected disability. If he gets service connected disability through the VA there are more benefits. Since he was active military when he became disabled he should qualify for it to be service connected. Good luck..hope things are look up soon for your family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)