• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can they give you a medical card if you didn't apply?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
My husband and I both work (him part time, and me full time). I have private insurance through work, but we can't afford to cover all the kids (7 in total)so they receive medical cards. With all the Obama care stuff going on my dh ended up getting a card as well since he was uninsured. They asked if I wanted one and I said no that I was covered through my work. But I still got a card in the mail anyway. What's up with that?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:28 PM
I have united health care plan. They pay for contacts, glasses, eye exams, doctors. Etc. Get that instead Obama care.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:28 PM
What card? Did ypu purchase private insurance or are ypu talking about being eligible for the medicaid expansion? Either way, you would have selected a provider so it shouldnt be a mystery.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:30 PM
You guys are married, you are automatically part of the case number whether you like it or not. You can use your work insurance as your primary, and the Medicaid as the secondary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Obamacare isnt an insurance provider, its the name of a law that requires people to purchase private insurance.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I have united health care plan. They pay for contacts, glasses, eye exams, doctors. Etc. Get that instead Obama care.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:33 PM
It's just a medical card like the rest of the family has. I didn't select anything. I didn't fill anything out. I have good insurance through my job and use it. I don't even go to the appointments or fill anything out or talk to any workers. My husband does that.

Quoting Anonymous 3: What card? Did ypu purchase private insurance or are ypu talking about being eligible for the medicaid expansion? Either way, you would have selected a provider so it shouldnt be a mystery.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:35 PM
I'm not really upset by it. Just confused. And the reason I didn't switch when they told me I was eligible is because I have some preexisting conditions and I'm worried I won't get the same level of care if I use a medical card. And won't have access to the same Dr's I prefer. I don't agree with it, but it is pretty common.

Quoting Anonymous 4: You guys are married, you are automatically part of the case number whether you like it or not. You can use your work insurance as your primary, and the Medicaid as the secondary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:37 PM
I'm amazed by how many people don't know that still.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Obamacare isnt an insurance provider, its the name of a law that requires people to purchase private insurance.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I have united health care plan. They pay for contacts, glasses, eye exams, doctors. Etc. Get that instead Obama care.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I'll go even further than that. Obamacare is the media's nickname for the Affordable Health Care Act.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Obamacare isnt an insurance provider, its the name of a law that requires people to purchase private insurance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)