Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was a nosy neighbour and I got a gift basket for it

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

I have a neighbour, he has a poodle who was downright obnoxious.  It would go crazy shivering and yipping in the elevators and bark it's head off the entire time the neighbour walked it.

Our building is backed onto a big valley, so it echoes and can be heard in every apartment on my side every day.  

Everyone hates the dog.

The thing is, after working in the pet industry and in animal control for a long time, I actually knew exactly why the dog behaved this way, I could see it from the way the owner handled it.  Every time the dog started to act up, the owner visably became anxious and tense, picked the dog up and would frantically pet him, jostle him and say "shhh shhh good boy good boy" Almost like a frantic parent comforting a child.

One day in the elevator I had a headache and said "Look, I know it's none of my business, but the reason your dog acts up is because you pick him up like that.  You are making him nervous at the same time reinforcing the bad behaviour by rewarding him with attention."  If you hold the leash tighter, relax a bit and ignore the dog, he'll relax.  If he barks or starts prancing, correct him with the leash." 

When we got out of the elevator, he asked me to show him how to correct the dog, I did (just a light tug and a firm "sit")  The dog responded immediately.  

The guy thanked me, I figured he'd ignore my advice. We both went on with our lives.  

I met up with him again a while later, he asked me some questions, I answered, showed him how to divert attention when the dog is bark at someone.

I haven't heard the dog in a while.  Like a few weeks. 

Just now he knocked on my door, he gave me a big gift basket with jams and cheeses and coffees in it.  And a nice thank you card.  He thanked me for helping him with his dog.

I kinda thought I stopped hearing the dog because he'd changed walking times to avoid the nosy neighbour, turns out he actually followed my advice and the dog just doesn't act demented anymore.  He also took my advice and is going to training workshop with his dog, to learn himself how to train dogs.

I'm glad I helped, here I was feeling guilty for sticking my nose where it didn't belong!

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
PeppermintyTea
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Sweet
Molz09
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Sweet! I love when people are receptive to friendly advice!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM

It was, made my night.  I wasn't expecting that at all.  I only said anything because I was sick of hearing the dog bark lol

Quoting PeppermintyTea: Sweet

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Nice!. What a good thing you did. Now can you come train my dog? Lol. He barks at an ant walking across the street. Luckily we live in the mounrain's and doesn't bother anyone but us.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Nice!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)