Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Walking PSA

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM
  • 9 Replies
2 moms liked this

Tonight I was having another night of feeling like a walking public service announcement for making bad dating decisions, and I was beating myself up about bringing a baby in to this world that wouldn't have a proper father around then I started listening to music and ended up listening to a song my step-dad played a lot when I was younger. He told me it was the song he listened to a lot because it made him think of me.

My mom and step dad were an on/off couple, and when she got pregnant he knew it wasn't his and he was only 17 but he still stayed around and said he was so scared, but from the moment he held me he just fell in love with me.

I have so many amazing moments of him in my life, and so many pictures of him holding me as a baby and pictures of us as I grew up.

My biological father didn't want any involvement until I was 12, and even when I met him he wasn't my 'dad' as far as I could see it. My step dad was always my dad, and I didn't suffer from that. I had times when I was really upset that my biological father wouldn't even meet me but my step-dad was always there for me even when my mom and him split up. They split up before I was even old enough to know what was going on but his mother kept watching me and I'd spend weekends with her or my step-dad. He never once made me feel like I didn't have a dad.

That cheered me up. Basically just saying I have a little comfort in knowing that my father being a shitty dad didn't necessarily ruin my life. (I don't hate my bio-dad anymore either. I did come to love him, just in a different way and I never did see him as my father.) Here's a shout out to any women who have men in their lives that are wonderful fathers to their little ones, bio or not! <3

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM

you probabl should have gone anon for this....

kristiwalker09
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I don't so much see the point of that?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

you probabl should have gone anon for this....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:29 PM
So, what is the PSA?
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My step dad was my real dad, too :)

I've never met bio dad, so I don't love or hate him.

kristiwalker09
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Meaning= this is what happens when you make shitty decisions and date shitty men.

Quoting Anonymous 2: So, what is the PSA?

kristiwalker09
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I only met my real dad because his family found out about me and wanted to meet me... but then the court awarded him visitation, and it was just horribly awkward.

Yay for wonderful step-dads! <3

Quoting Zazayam:

My step dad was my real dad, too :)

I've never met bio dad, so I don't love or hate him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
My grandpa was the closest thing to a father I had. My dad and stepdad both abandoned me, but he made sure I had a strong male role model, took care of me, and raised me. And he adopted my mom. He was an amazing man.

My husband adopted my two girls and loves them as his own. You can't tell a difference in his love for them vs the two bio he has with me. The girls and I are so blessed to have DH.
kristiwalker09
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Was he your mom's actual adoptive dad, or your dads dad who adopted your mom? That's wonderful. I know my grandpa will be a good role model for my son, though he's quite upset about my choice in dating my ex. He thinks I went from being completely adjusted and doing well to completely f*cking my entire life up... I can't fault his honesty though, and I understand his anger.

Your husband sounds wonderful! Kudos to him for being so awesome!

Quoting Anonymous 3: My grandpa was the closest thing to a father I had. My dad and stepdad both abandoned me, but he made sure I had a strong male role model, took care of me, and raised me. And he adopted my mom. He was an amazing man. My husband adopted my two girls and loves them as his own. You can't tell a difference in his love for them vs the two bio he has with me. The girls and I are so blessed to have DH.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM
He was actually my mom's adoptive dad. My grandma had my mom and my uncle when they got married, and he adopted them both. My dad's family hated my mom, hence why my dad abandoned me.

My husband is incredible. My exes were horrible mistakes. Horrible horrible mistakes. Outside of DH, their bio dads, a very select few family members, and me, no one even knows the girls aren't biologically his. He says they're his in every way that counts and that's all he cares about.

Quoting kristiwalker09:

Was he your mom's actual adoptive dad, or your dads dad who adopted your mom? That's wonderful. I know my grandpa will be a good role model for my son, though he's quite upset about my choice in dating my ex. He thinks I went from being completely adjusted and doing well to completely f*cking my entire life up... I can't fault his honesty though, and I understand his anger.

Your husband sounds wonderful! Kudos to him for being so awesome!

Quoting Anonymous 3: My grandpa was the closest thing to a father I had. My dad and stepdad both abandoned me, but he made sure I had a strong male role model, took care of me, and raised me. And he adopted my mom. He was an amazing man. My husband adopted my two girls and loves them as his own. You can't tell a difference in his love for them vs the two bio he has with me. The girls and I are so blessed to have DH.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)