• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grandpa punishing her?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
I'm neutral in this all but I figured this would be a good discussion for CM.

BM lives with her father. The kid in question is almost 13. Grandpa has a recliner with those silly square arm chair covers that always fall off. Somehow he attached them to the arms of the chair. The 12 year old didn't like them so she cut them off and threw them in the trash.

Grandpa, needless to say, was pissed and took her phone away until he decides it's been long enough and told her she had to work off paying for the covers. She's had the phone taken away for 10 days so far and no sign of getting it back.

So should grandpa have allowed mom to punish the child or was grandpa within his rights to displine her? Does the punishment fit the crime?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Grandpa's house, Grandpa's rules. He didn't touch her, just confiscated her phone, it seems reasonable to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM

I think the consequence fits the crime so to speak.  At this age, the child should no better than to mess with someone else's belongings.   What did the mother say about the whole situation?  Did she have the child apologize to grandpa for destroying his chair?

Vesta20
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM
She lives there so yes he should be allowed to punish her. Also not I don't think the punishment is extreme, she tore up someone else's stuff. That's unacceptable.
Amiehart62
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:06 PM
I allow my parents to punish as they see fit.

They know that we spank but would never spank the kids because that's not their place. However there was one time my mom spanked my son for biting my other son and making him bleed.

I was not upset because it's what I would have done and she called and told me immediately.

I do not question my parents about punishment because I punish based on what I learned growing up.

We punish the same way....if the punishment fits the crime KWIM?

I don't think he is out of line.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:10 PM
I think it does too, the only thing I dislike is an indefinite removal of the phone. She should have a time line as to when she gets it back, i don't think it should be open ended.

Mom is ok with what grandpa did and I don't know if she made her apologize or not.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I think the consequence fits the crime so to speak.  At this age, the child should no better than to mess with someone else's belongings.   What did the mother say about the whole situation?  Did she have the child apologize to grandpa for destroying his chair?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)