• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Those with much dog experience, I need help with training please! *UPDATE*

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM
  • 38 Replies
I want to be sure I train properly as I've never had a puppy this small or this breed. Now we already have an older dog Blackie, a lab, that we recently took in for an old friend. He's a sweet gentle soul and very calm, not very active anymore as he is quite old and suffers from arthiritis. Today we got a 10 wk old german sheperd mix. She's VERY hyper/playful. (lol much to the dismay of the cat and Blackie) Im working with her on house training which is fairly simple. Its the other behavior training that I need help with....such as teaching her not to chew, when to have "quiet time", not play biting people. So far I've just been giving a firm "NO!" and redirect her attention.

Tonight one thing that bothered me (I just dont know if its normal behavior or not) is when Blackie had gone to lay down the new pup kept trying to play with him by pouncing around/sniffing.....Blackie ignored it for a few min then let out a loud bark and growl baring his teeth at her. He never barks at anyone or anything....he's the gentlest dog I've ever known! Was he just trying to show dominance or should I be worried? I know its alot to read but I want to make sure Im doing the best I can for the new puppy in helping her become a part of the family:)

Eta: THANK YOU THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for all your input! We have made leaps and bounds in just one day! She's already learned "sit" and "stay" as well as getting the hang of potty training:))))
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rebirth0112
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:28 PM
B
Rebirth0112
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:28 PM
U
Rebirth0112
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:29 PM
M
Rebirth0112
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:29 PM
P
kewimom
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this
An older dog can only have so much patience. When Blackie wants to rest use a baby gate or similar to keep the puppy back. The puppy will learn not to mess with him.
Rebirth0112
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM
BUMP
SitaStJames
by *Sita* on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Blackie is showing he's the alpha dog and wants to be left alone. She wasnt respecting him. I would watch them very closely though because he could snap at her if she doesnt learn her place.

Smorton64
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM
The chewing is normal for a puppy. They are teething just like babies do. Instead of just telling him no, give him something he is allowed to chew on, a bone or a toy or whatever. As for quiet time I'm not sure. Our dog is 2 and still pesters the 5 year old dog when she is trying to sleep. So if you figure anything our for that one, I would love to know!
engel
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Blackie is establishing his role in the "pack" as higher than the new puppy. Same as your grandma would "bark" and "growl" at you if you were being a disrespectful brat. You should assert this as well or that pup will try to run your household. Dogs NEED a hierarchy type relationship with their family. That said, if Blackie goes beyond nipping then there is a problem starting.
KyliesMom5
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Blackie did the right thing. The puppy did not back off and was being annoying so Blackie told the puppy off. Do not correct Blackie for that. The puppy needs to learn doggie manners and Blackie was showing appropriate dog behavior. Now if Blackie tells the puppy off and doesn't stop I would step in but otherwise I would let Blackie teach the pup.

The chewing is a normal puppy thing. She's teething and needs to chew. I would only give her toys she can't easily destroy and if you can watch her she should be in her craye. One thing I like to do is take a long and fill it with peanut butter or cheese and kibble or treats and then freeze it.

whenever the puppy puts her mouth on you even if it doesn't hurt say "ouch". You should see the puppy back off. Now the puppy will probably come right back but you should notice that her mouth is softer. If you consistantly do this she will eventually learn not to put her mouth on you at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)