Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Want to move out. Please help me.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Ok, so...I'm not looking for bashing, I'm actually looking for advice.
My husband and I are young, and have a 2 year old daughter.
My husband wasn't allowed to reenlist in the military because of cut downs and his discharge was pretty sudden. We weren't able to make conscious planning. We were forced to move in with my parents and the situation with them is horrid. We are all unhappy and it is taking a toll on our marriage, I am severely depressed, our daughter can't even lead a normal lifestyle. We are all crammed in my old room and we are desperately looking for an apartment to move into. I have a job 25+ hours on minimum wage ($8.25 hr in Chicago) he is working 30-32 and makes $3 more than I do. (Both of us are looking for better jobs). Anyway, we aren't on any govt assistance (don't qualify for food stamps or Medicaid, also haven't heard anything from the VA) so all expenses are out of pocket...my husband and I need to work on budgeting and my parents are not very supportive nor do they offer useful advise. They often bring me down and contribute to further damaging my marriage and my depression. I guess what I'm trying to ask of you ladies is, what advise would you give me about moving out and be an independent family once more? What steps did yall take to move out on your own? Any budgeting tips/advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:46 AM
I rent 2 rooms from my parents. I fucking hate it. One more week until I'm done with college. Then I'm getting a better job and getting the fuck out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Bump
VibeRant
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Honestly I'm in a similar position. divorce left me broke, poor life decisions (traveling with my ex while he was in the military made it nearly impossible for me to finish a degree) left me unable to get a job higher than $8.75. My 3 kids and I are having to live with my parents until I get my degree. It sucks. I've never met anyone as condescending, pessimistic, negative and bitchy as my mom. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but even my dad agrees. I appreciate the help, but I can't wait to get out of here before we all go nuts! Good luck to you!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:10 AM
we found very cheap places on craigslist. we always kept in mind to pay Rent Light Water and food/gas before anything and reminded ourselves that anything else is extra.(cable for example)
we also bought all our furniture and appliances cheap off craigslist and looked in the free section alot.

we have never paid more than 450 for a 2 bedroom before.
we budget wisely.
we make 10 plus comission and 13 an hr so about 4k a month after taxes so we make sure we watch what we spend closely.
we have 2 boys , toddler and newborn. no assistance.

good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:13 AM
Thanks. Everything we find on craigslist is either a scam, in a bad neighborhood, or $800+
Chicago is f*cking expensive.

Quoting Anonymous 4: we found very cheap places on craigslist. we always kept in mind to pay Rent Light Water and food/gas before anything and reminded ourselves that anything else is extra.(cable for example)
we also bought all our furniture and appliances cheap off craigslist and looked in the free section alot.

we budget wisely.
we make 10 plus comission and 13 an hr so about 4k a month after taxes so we make sure we watch what we spend closely.

good luck.
gradysmom2006
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:14 AM
Move out of Chicago. There are places outside of Chicago much cheaper.

Look for income based housing in smaller towns so it's a nicer neighborhood.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Tax season is coming up so use that money for deposit and first month's rent and try to save the rest.
When I moved out that's what I did and I didn't have any couches or furniture for the first year or even cable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Go to HUD.gov  Look up affordable apartments. These are income based apartments. See if ANY of them (for family's) has any available.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:16 AM
yea i live in South texas so i understand its cheaper here sorry
but hopefully you find something affordable.

i could not live with either of our parents. id go crazy.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thanks. Everything we find on craigslist is either a scam, in a bad neighborhood, or $800+
Chicago is f*cking expensive.

Quoting Anonymous 4: we found very cheap places on craigslist. we always kept in mind to pay Rent Light Water and food/gas before anything and reminded ourselves that anything else is extra.(cable for example)

we budget wisely.

good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)