Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you have corrected her?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 96 Replies
I said something to my 5th grader about a note I sent to her teacher and that maybe I should've specified a last name because there are multiple students with the same names.

She said, "no I think it'll be okay of how they're both sisters."

I said, "I think it'll be okay because they're sisters.' You used "of" in place of "because." I've asked you to work on that. They aren't synonyms. Also using "both" is redundant when referring to two girls who are siblings. They are sisters. You and Jane are sisters, because you share parents. You and Sally (your friend) are both sisters, because you both HAVE siblings, but aren't related to one another."

My DH told me to quit being a hard ass and my DD said it doesn't matter how she talks, people understand her anyway.

I said, "you're in fifth now and it's time to talk a bit more maturely. And it's my job to teach you to speak intelligently."

DH said "If I ever said that to her again (that she doesn't speak intelligently) there would be a problem."

What do you think? Other than the OBVIOUS problem I have to discuss with DH about undermining me in front of her...
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:16 AM
3 moms liked this
I understand where both you and your DH are coming from. Compromise by correcting her, but don't make it sound as if you think she's not intelligent.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:18 AM
OMG get the fuck over your self grammar natzi! The next time just Stfu damn its such a minor thing. Your DH needs to instill a gramar jar and whenever you act like the grammar police you have to put one dollar in it. Thats uncalled for. Your not her teacher!
TaralynnStewart
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
She will only learn if she's corrected.
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:19 AM
Um unless I read your explanation wrong, it doesn't make sense.

"You use of in place of because...." It's the same word.

"You and Sally are both sisters..." I guess it works but wouldn't it be more clear to say, 'you and Sally both have sisters'

I don't know maybe that's me being crazy
brysonsmommy_10
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly, I don't see that you did anything wrong. You didn't say she wasn't intelligent and, honestly, she's in fifth grade not kindergarten and can handle a little constructive criticism.

He also wasn't wrong for coming to you with his concerns, but should not have said anything in front of your dd.
chicagoliz
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:21 AM

You can explain that you know she IS intelligent, if she speaks with incorrect grammar, other people will think that she's not.  So it's important to get it right so that others will pay attention to the substance of what you are saying.

AlleyCat08
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:22 AM
5 moms liked this
She is the parent. It is our job as parents to teach our children correctly.

Quoting Anonymous 2: OMG get the fuck over your self grammar natzi! The next time just Stfu damn its such a minor thing. Your DH needs to instill a gramar jar and whenever you act like the grammar police you have to put one dollar in it. Thats uncalled for. Your not her teacher!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, she shouldn't be just based on the wording of her post, but in what universe are parents not responsible for teaching their children? That's crazy.

Quoting Anonymous 2: OMG get the fuck over your self grammar natzi! The next time just Stfu damn its such a minor thing. Your DH needs to instill a gramar jar and whenever you act like the grammar police you have to put one dollar in it. Thats uncalled for. Your not her teacher!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow.  Umm.  We are kids MAIN teachers.  It is a parents job to teach anything and everything.  We correct our kids all the time.  It is how they learn.

bigmouthbabe
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
It's key to give direction without being a nag, embarrassing her, insulting her, and crushing her confidence. Take his thoughts into consideration because he may be seeing something in your approach and her reaction that you don't. I'd say help her grammar, but focus on your marriage.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)