Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current flu vaccine may not protect against virus - but go ahead, line pharma's pockets anyways

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

Current flu vaccine may not protect against virus

|The CDC is warning that only 48 percent of flu virus samples taken through last month were closely related to this year's North American vaccine. CBS News medical contributor Dr. Holly Phillips joins "CBS This Morning" to discuss the findings.

RELATED VIDEOS

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/current-flu-vaccine-may-not-protect-against-virus/

Bottom line: GET YOUR USELESS FLU SHOT BECAUSE PHARMA NEEDS THE MONEY

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:18 AM
*yawn* isn't this common knowledge?
j3st3r
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:20 AM

uhhh this is pretty much true every year.

they only include like 3-4 strains in the vaccines and the flu mutates very quickly.

annas_momma
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:23 AM
This is just my observation, so far, this year.

I work in an urgent care office. Last year, around this time, we were full swing with the flu. So far, I have only seen 3 positive flus, and the other 2 offices we have have had one each.

After the flu outbreak we had last year, more people came in to get their flu shots starting in October. We will know more about this years flu, and how bad it may be, throughout this month.

I can say, that after catching the flu from a patient last year, I got the shot myself this year. We will see if it works for me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Neutralization positive but apparent false-positive hepatitis B surface antigen in a blood donor following influenza vaccination

Choose an option to locate/access this article:
Check if you have access through your login credentials or your institution
Check access

Abstract

We report a case of transient, confirmed positive hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) in a 25 year old long term Canadian Blood Services (CBS) donor, who reported receiving 2011–2012 seasonal trivalent (A/H1N1, A/H3N2, Influenza B) inactivated influenza vaccine two days before donation. To our knowledge, this report is the first published case implicating influenza vaccine as a possible factor in false-positive HBsAg test results. Seasonal incidence of repeat-reactive HBsAg among CBS donors suggests a potential contributory role of influenza vaccine or community acquired infection. We speculate that influenza vaccine may rarely be associated with sporadic, transient, false-positive HBsAg results.

Elle.tea.22
by Emerald Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:26 AM
This. I get my shot every year because the army makes me and guess what? I get the flu 2-3 times a year! Just my luck. Had it in January, May and October. Fml
DrunkenFaeGirl
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:28 AM

How is this surprising? It's the same every year and one reason I don't bother with the shot.

hautemama83
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:29 AM
This is nothing new.
chellec04
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:31 AM
I dont bother with the shot. Your body needs to get sick some so more power to the flu.

Granite its only ever been the stomach flu and no vaccine can stop that
TheRingmaster
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Hubby gets the shot since it's mandatory for military...we don't. I have the flu as we speak...as does he...lol. clearly his shot was useless.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:38 AM
Umm...ok. the flu shot has never been effective for every strain.

Its also free, so i dont see why anyone would care what money was being made off it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)