Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for exercising around the family?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm feeling at a loss for trying to find time to get my exercise in.  I try to get up at least an hour before I need to get my son up for school, but the baby (6 weeks tomorrow) likes to wake up around that time.  I can feed him, but he often won't go back to sleep unless I stay in bed and then he's awake when I have to get my son up anyway.  Trying to do anything without him in my arms or baby carrier throughout the day is practically impossible.  Awake and not being held?  Just doesn't happen.  I can leave him to cry for 5 minutes while I take the dogs out, but I can't feel right leaving him to cry for an entire workout.

I try to get up earlier than that and the older two (6 and 3) get up and are expecting me to feed them, play with them, get them ready for the day, or otherwise occupy their time and they won't leave me alone to get a workout in.

DH comes home while I'm getting DS ready for school.  He typically eats with the kids, then gets a quick shower, and off to bed.  Once he's in bed, we need to be quiet or leave the house.  The noise from exercising would be too much, he wouldn't sleep well, and then he's nothing but a bear to be around.

DH then typically gets up about 4pm.  That is also the time that DS gets home from school.  So, between 4 and 6:30 is spent helping DS with his homework while (typically) cooking dinner.  After dinner is spent getting the kids ready for bed and packing up leftovers for DH's lunch.  Get the kids in bed and I spend the next hour helping DH get out the door; packing his lunch, getting the car warmed up, helping him find clothes to wear, etc.  He gets out the door about 9pm and then I have to feed the animals, take the dogs out, get the kitchen cleaned up, etc.  By then it is about 10pm if baby hasn't demanded to be held for hours on end.

While I haven't tried to workout at night, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.  The exercise gets the blood flowing and gives me so much energy that I imagine I would need significant down time before I would be able to get some sleep.

I've considered a gym membership, but I've never been to a gym in my life and have no clue what I would look for in a "good" gym.  Also, due to DH's schedule, I have a very, very narrow window in which I could go because he would have to watch the kids.  It is a minimum of 20 minutes to anywhere.  To top it off, that very narrow window is when we try to get in any family activities, to include DS's cub scouts.

And while I won't write it off completely, I'm not too fond of the idea of simply getting out of the house and walking.  I'm a southern transplant to Wisconsin and walking in teen temperatures (wind chill in single digits) with a toddler and a newborn just does not appeal to me.  And it is only going to get worse as the winter progresses.

I just feel like there is a barrier to every possible opportunity.  The only time I can seem to get anything done is when DH has a day off.  He'll occupy the baby, but the older ones keep getting in his face about what they can do and he keeps telling them they have to wait until I'm done.  Listening to that for my entire workout simply gets me frustrated and makes me want to shut off my videos.

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:57 AM

BUMP!

almburr
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM
My kids are older. So they know it's work out time. But I am currently doing 10-min trainer- 10min is all you need. I'm on cycle 2. And love it.

Maybe right when Dh gets home you get it done. Or have him get his clothes washed and ready. He is an adult who can make his own lunch.

You need to come first also.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I do my workout 5x a week, once everyone is out the door to school or work. After I take my shower it's just about time for me to leave for work.

But for you get a gip, the kid will be fine not being held ALL the time. The crying will be bad the first couple of times, but the baby will learn to soothe himself an will get used to not being held ALL the time.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Let your husband get himself out the door and go workout. He isn't a child.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Start by getting that baby used to not being held 24/7. Let him cry for a few minutes while you take the dogs out, go to the bathroom, make lunch. Put him in a bouncer seat or something so he can see you. You can exercise in your home without making much noise. Do some sit ups, crunches, push ups, squats. Get a work out video. You dont have to do everything all at once. Do 5-10 minutes here, then another 5-10 minutes later.

ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I will not compromise on the baby.  He is 6 weeks old.  Touch is just as essential a need for babies as food, sleep, or a clean diaper.  If he feels the need to be held I will hold him, no matter how frustrating it is.  I understand that it is a phase and he will be less clingy when he realizes that I will be there for him.  Went through it with my other two.  He's just a little more high needs than my other two were.

And, no, my husband isn't a child.  However, it is us working together that gets him out the door on time, but still allows us to both put the kids to bed and have an opportunity to have a few minutes of time just for us.  We can also discuss things that we don't want the children to hear.

ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Oh, and another very valid reason on not letting the baby cry is the fact that it'll wake up DH.  He's a light sleeper and isn't very pleasant when he gets woke up and sound travels in this stupid house.  You could probably be in the basement and hear a mouse fart in the attic.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM

If you are not willing to put the baby down, then you will never have a chance to exercise. End of story.

ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Oh, I put him down.  He has a swing that I put him in (though he doesn't really like it).  I can sometimes get him to fall asleep on the boppy while nursing and set him down elsewhere.  Depending on the time and day, I can nurse him to sleep in the bed and then slip away.

I'm just not willing to leave him to cry.

Quoting Seagodess:

If you are not willing to put the baby down, then you will never have a chance to exercise. End of story.

IHopeYouDance
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Why can't your husband handle afternoon duties so you can exercise. Why do you have to get his clothes and warm up the car? Is he a child?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)