Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your take

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
http://time.com/3016326/eric-garner-video-police-chokehold-death/

It's the case that involves Eric Garner and those cops out of NYC. What is your opinion on it I feel those cops killed him he wasn't doing anything wrong that day. He didn't have a weapon on him and he told them several times he couldn't breath but they didn't care they kept doing what they were doing. I normally back up the cops completely but this time they killed a guy and they are getting away with it. So let me ask you do you think the cop that put him in a choke hold should face prison time? If you don't what is your reasoning. I feel he should face prison time he killed a guy and because of that he shouldn't just be allowed to walk around like he did nothing wrong. It wasn't self defence in my book because the guy didn't have a weapon and also there was a lot of cops there so why couldn't they have just took him out of a chokehold and hold him down another way?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I don't care and I'm tired of hearing about it. 

supermama322
by Kaylee on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:41 AM
I haven't anything about it. I'll check out the link.
NipplePirate
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:41 AM
The cop was 100% in the wrong.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I have to say too that I don't like how the media keeps comparing this incident to what happened in Ferguson.  I see very little in common between these two incidents other than the race of the officers and of the men who were killed.  Personally, I don't give a shit if they were black, white, or purple, so there really is nothing to compare between the two.

The incident in Ferguson, the man had just robbed a store, it was 1 on 1, and the guy was beating the shit out of the police officer and trying to turn his own gun against him.  Even if he was just joe schmo citizen on the street rather than a police officer, he still had every right to defend himself.  I don't see that the measures the officer used were excessive given the circumstances.

The incident in NYC, sure the guy was stupid to resist arrest, but I don't see that he was physically assaulting anyone in this video.  It was also like 4 on 1 against an unarmed man.  Whether it was a banned chokehold or some other takedown technique, the coroner ruled that this man died as a direct result of the excessive force that was used against him.  I feel there should be consequences for their actions, as they seem entirely inappropriate in this instance.

Not the same scenario at all.  So they need to stop being compared IMO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Honestly, I'm a bit ambivalent. DH used to be NYPD and we have several NYPD friends. It is NOT easy nor are all the facts relayed via media. He wasn't just NOT doing anything. He had a long history with the cops and was regularly cited and arrested yet continued to defy the law. There WAS an altercation of some sorts that ended the way it did - the video captured a small, small snippet of what happened. Could other tactics have been used? Probably and the cop may still be tried in civil court. 

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:51 AM

They're going to keep comparing them, th ough, because of the race of the people involved. 

In the case of Ferguson, everything was so biased right from the start that it was (and still is, in many cases) impossible to pick out the facts from the racially-steeped fiction. I believe that they made the right decision in that case, even though it cost Darren Wilson his job and quite possibly his peace of mind for the rest of his life. No matter what the circumstances are, killing someone messes you up.  (Though, they are saying that Mike Brown didn't rob the store at this point, there are conflicting statements on the matter) 

In New York....yes, he resisted arrest. That doesn't warrent the use of an illegal choke hold, especially since it was the cause of the man's death. There are no conflicting statements, there is no lack of evidence. It is all right there, in living color, on YouTube. 

This is the injustice that everyone is claiming happened in Ferguson, only it's actually happening in NY. This officer should be punished, to the full extent of the law, for the death of the man in NY. Not only did he and the other officers use excessive force, but they went aganist their own training with the use of a chokehold to take the man down.  It's manslaughter, at the very least. 

People will continue to play the race card, at least until we line them up and slice them open and they figure out that hey, we all bleed the same color. I'm just worried that the events in Ferguson and NY are going to spread and become something much uglier before things start to look up again. 

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I have to say too that I don't like how the media keeps comparing this incident to what happened in Ferguson.  I see very little in common between these two incidents other than the race of the officers and of the men who were killed.  Personally, I don't give a shit if they were black, white, or purple, so there really is nothing to compare between the two.

The incident in Ferguson, the man had just robbed a store, it was 1 on 1, and the guy was beating the shit out of the police officer and trying to turn his own gun against him.  Even if he was just joe schmo citizen on the street rather than a police officer, he still had every right to defend himself.  I don't see that the measures the officer used were excessive given the circumstances.

The incident in NYC, sure the guy was stupid to resist arrest, but I don't see that he was physically assaulting anyone in this video.  It was also like 4 on 1 against an unarmed man.  Whether it was a banned chokehold or some other takedown technique, the coroner ruled that this man died as a direct result of the excessive force that was used against him.  I feel there should be consequences for their actions, as they seem entirely inappropriate in this instance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:02 AM

In another article that I read yesterday (I believe it was this one) the police union officials and Pantaleo's lawyer argued that the officer used a takedown move taught by the police department, not a banned maneuver.  So they were arguing semantics, and apparently won that argument, based on the lack of indictment.  Not that I agree, because it certainly looked like a chokehold to me in the video.

Quoting LokisMama:

They're going to keep comparing them, th ough, because of the race of the people involved. 

In the case of Ferguson, everything was so biased right from the start that it was (and still is, in many cases) impossible to pick out the facts from the racially-steeped fiction. I believe that they made the right decision in that case, even though it cost Darren Wilson his job and quite possibly his peace of mind for the rest of his life. No matter what the circumstances are, killing someone messes you up.  (Though, they are saying that Mike Brown didn't rob the store at this point, there are conflicting statements on the matter) 

In New York....yes, he resisted arrest. That doesn't warrent the use of an illegal choke hold, especially since it was the cause of the man's death. There are no conflicting statements, there is no lack of evidence. It is all right there, in living color, on YouTube. 

This is the injustice that everyone is claiming happened in Ferguson, only it's actually happening in NY. This officer should be punished, to the full extent of the law, for the death of the man in NY. Not only did he and the other officers use excessive force, but they went aganist their own training with the use of a chokehold to take the man down.  It's manslaughter, at the very least. 

People will continue to play the race card, at least until we line them up and slice them open and they figure out that hey, we all bleed the same color. I'm just worried that the events in Ferguson and NY are going to spread and become something much uglier before things start to look up again. 

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Amiehart62
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Cop wasn't indicted but the guy that made the video was.

It's wrong 100% The cause of death was homicide by chokehold so yeah the cop should be prosecuted.
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM

It just...boggles the mind that someone can get away with manslaughter on a technicality. 

Quoting Anonymous 3:

In another article that I read yesterday (I believe it was this one) the police union officials and Pantaleo's lawyer argued that the officer used a takedown move taught by the police department, not a banned maneuver.  So they were arguing semantics, and apparently won that argument, based on the lack of indictment.  Not that I agree, because it certainly looked like a chokehold to me in the video.

Quoting LokisMama:

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)