Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 Month Old Won't Sleep Alone and I'm Losing My Mind

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

She's 8 months old and 21 pounds. She takes naps in her bed but she won't go to sleep by herself! I have to hold her.

I have 4 kids and she's the ONLY one who's had this problem...I have a herniated disc now, I'm sleep-deprived and in so much pain holding her all the time. Especially at the end of the day when she just won't go to sleep unless I'm with her...BUT I HAVE 3 KIDS WHO WON'T GO TO BED UNLESS I PUT THEM and my Hubs doesn't get home until late...after their bedtime.

For the last 10 minutes, I've been beside her bed, holding her hand, rubbing her belly, trying to soothe her but she won't sleep! She just screams until I pick her up but my back is KILLING me! My 2 year old is over 30 pounds and needs me, too...

Any ideas on what to do before I lose my mind?

At the moment, I had to leave the room for my sanity. I'm going back to her now...

Please help...

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IggyAzalea
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Ferberize her? Honestly I don't have any good advice for you because if it were me, I would go through whatever it took (including being in pain) to get her to sleep.
kappalopokis
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM
I take my 7 month old with me to tuck in all the other kids, then take him to bed last. Try that?

He prefers if I'm with him. He will fall asleep on his own, but doesn't like to.

mrsrodgers0703
by Emerald Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:46 AM
For the two year old, I would do sleep training. At two, it won't hurt them to cry. I had to do it with mine. It SUCKED. I didn't want to, but he would literally stay upthe entire night even with a bedtime routine. As far as the eight month old, idk. Thankfully my first didn't have that problem. We cosleep with our one month old.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:46 AM
CIO
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:47 AM
I'll bump for you. I take naps with my daughter and she usually ends up in our bed at night. I tried to break her of it for a while but gave up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:48 AM

The two year old doesn't have a sleep problem. He sleeps fine on his own and always has, along with his 2 older sisters. I mean, I have to deal with him because he's very energetic and I HEAVY and I occasionally have to pick him up, too. The herniated disc doesn't help with that or holding the baby for hours on end...

Quoting mrsrodgers0703: For the two year old, I would do sleep training. At two, it won't hurt them to cry. I had to do it with mine. It SUCKED. I didn't want to, but he would literally stay upthe entire night even with a bedtime routine. As far as the eight month old, idk. Thankfully my first didn't have that problem. We cosleep with our one month old.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:50 AM

The doctors are talking surgery if I don't go easy on my back...it's not just pain...it's not being able to stay on my feet anymore because it's so bad. I can't bend over. I can't sit on the floor. I can't sleep on my back. It's excruciating. If it was just pain, I would handle it but it's ridiculous now...

Quoting IggyAzalea: Ferberize her? Honestly I don't have any good advice for you because if it were me, I would go through whatever it took (including being in pain) to get her to sleep.

BalderdashMom
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Kids are so different.

I babysit and the wee one I watch would only fall asleep while being rocked. It took me a few weeks but eventually I would just place hi in the bed and he falls asleep there for me. His mom hasn't tried that. She still holds him.

My daughter wouldn't hold her bottle for me. I breast fed, so it was our time. When I fed her from a bottle she refused to hold it. SHe would, though, if anyone else fed her.

IggyAzalea
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Sorry if my earlier comment sounded judgy, I promise I was not judging you at all which is why I offered the only solution I have known to work, Ferberizing. Hope you feel better soon.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

The doctors are talking surgery if I don't go easy on my back...it's not just pain...it's not being able to stay on my feet anymore because it's so bad. I can't bend over. I can't sit on the floor. I can't sleep on my back. It's excruciating. If it was just pain, I would handle it but it's ridiculous now...

Quoting IggyAzalea: Ferberize her? Honestly I don't have any good advice for you because if it were me, I would go through whatever it took (including being in pain) to get her to sleep.

WaterorWine
by Wino on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Babies are at the height of separation anxiety between 8-15 months. My baby is 10 months and is the same. He is high needs.
You have two options:
A. Cosleep ( what we do)
B. Sleep train. ( there are ways to sleep train w/o CIO. CIO has been shown to cause severe stress hormone increase in babies and can cause life long anxiety problems. (Sorry not a fan)
You sound like you have a high needs baby too. I've learned it's best to work around their needs rather than use traditional parenting methods re: try attachment parenting.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/fussy-baby/high-need-baby/12-features-high-need-baby
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)