Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just wanna ...REACT to something dammit!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

So THIS kid, let me tell you, he reacts to absolutely nothing! He'll act up but he doesn't react to any sort of punishment at all!

Today he locked himself in the bathroom and was playing with Dd and I found them (its an issue, I have no idea what the bathroom fascination is) so I took them out and I told them in a VERY stern voice that they were NOT to play in there and they both got a 4 minute time out. 

Dd reacted the way a kid is supposed to react by crying and being upset, right? At the end I asked her what she did wrong, she told me, she apologized, we hugged and she went on her merry way!

But HE did not! All he did was stand there while I was talking to him, then he just say there with NO reaction on his face, no crying, no upsetness, it was like he was just sitting there and waiting for the punishment to be over and that was it!! I talked to him afterwards, he said nothing, he reacted to NOTHING, he didnt apologize, so I put him down for another 4 minutes, after that I talked to him again, NOTHING LADIES.

NOTHING!! I mean, I could talk until I'm blue in the face and this child will give me NO REACTION whatsoever! What do you DO after that? We dont believe in hitting or spanking but sometimes I want to JUST to get a reaction out of him, SOMETHING, anything

Its like he just takes it, waits for it to be over, and then goes on his merry way. There's NO EMOTION there. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Does he show emotion over other things or is he typically very even, non-emotional?    How old is he?   

If he is acting out and hurting others or if he is not showing any emotion, remorse, sympathy, etc... I would be very concerned. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Get him into therapy now. My little brother was the exact same way and it only got worse with time because my parents refused to acknowledge it. He eventually started torturing animals and stealing and getting in fights and he couldn't have cared less about the repercussions. He ended up joining the military and he was discharged due to breaking his ankle and after that he started getting therapy though and he is getting better now. But he was headed down a VERY dark path.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM

i dont know what to do to helo with your situation.... but when ii was little, and would get upssset over something(this was quite frequently, i was a cry baby) i would "run away" and move into the bathroom. lock the door, and LIVE in there..... like stephanie on full house... thats where i got the idea.... but i did it constantly.

kee1006b
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Get him checked out

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:36 PM

All kids are different, none react the same.  What works for one kid won't necessarily work for another.  Consider this before assuming he needs therapy like some will have you believe.

mrsmac521
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM

One of my foster kids was like that.  I just kept changing her punishment until I found one that worked.  If he doesn't mind time outs, then try something new.  For her, I made her help me out for an hour or so.  What ever I did, she did.  She hated it, but her behavior changed.  Good luck

MissiNy
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Has he always been like this or did it just start? Does he show emotion at other times..when he's happy, sad, mad or is it just when your reprimanding him?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM

He talks, he plays, he gets excited and happy about things but when things go negative for him or he gets in trouble he completely shuts down. He literally withdrawls into himself and its so deep I dont think anyonen could reach in ther UNTIL the punishment is over and then he goes back to normal! 

He also has a DEEP opedipus complex with his father. Its like when he's with me (he's not mine but I've been in his life since he was a baby) he's just simply waiting, like blocks of time WITHOUT his father dont exist to him but as soon as daddy comes home from work its like time starts again for him and NOBODY else exists anymore, its like he didnt even SEE me during the day because that part of his day ceased to exist once Daddy is back home. I think it's like that with ALL of his days and if a therapist were to sit him down in the future and ask him to recall his childhood ALL his memories would be that of his time with Daddy and when asked about times that didnt include his Dad he wouldnt be able to recall them.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Does he show emotion over other things or is he typically very even, non-emotional?    How old is he?   

If he is acting out and hurting others or if he is not showing any emotion, remorse, sympathy, etc... I would be very concerned. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:43 PM

He's always been like this.

He reacts to happiness and excitement.

Its just when something negative happens or he gets in trouble.

Quoting MissiNy:

Has he always been like this or did it just start? Does he show emotion at other times..when he's happy, sad, mad or is it just when your reprimanding him?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)