Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Appropriate age for "the talk"

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM
  • 24 Replies
So I was just wondering what most of you think is an appropriate age for the big talk. I know each child is different, and maturity of course is a huge factor. So....what do you think?
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarbear8508
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM
;)
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM
I was unfortunately forced to give the talk a few weeks ago to my oldest. Hes 9.
AvantGardener
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think there should be a big talk. I think it's more practical to have an ongoing conversation that starts with anatomy and evolves on it's own through the years.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM
There should never be one big talk, that's a disservice.
It should be an ongoing conversation. Around 5-8 a child should have the basic idea of sex.
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM

"the Talk" is on going in my house. We start young and just go from there. Every year we add more info and such. We always answer our sons questions honestly. 

casah4
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM

IMO, they should know by 8. My girls had heard about sex at school in first and second grade.

JoanahLee
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM

If you wait for a "big talk" its going to be a big deal. Just answer questions at an age appropriate level as your kids have them throughout childhood.  Don't be afraid to talk about body parts (using the real names for them) and what their different functions are and how to care for your own body.  Eventually all the info will come together and the kids will have more questions.. just answer them as they come. 

I would say most kids should have an understanding of the basic mechanics of sex and reproduction by age 10, but thats not the same as starting the conversation at age 10. 

sarbear8508
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM
I like that idea, my mom never, ever talked about sex with us. The only way I found out was when I was 5 she rented me this cartoon and it had the talk with me. I swear though it was very visual. Needless to say I was trauma at such a tender age. XD

Quoting AvantGardener:

I don't think there should be a big talk. I think it's more practical to have an ongoing conversation that starts with anatomy and evolves on it's own through the years.

ColesMommy63005
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Why forced?? Did he ask? Just curious Cuz my oldest is 9 also and I'm dreading 'the talk'..

Quoting PhantomRose88: I was unfortunately forced to give the talk a few weeks ago to my oldest. Hes 9.
Night_Roane
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM
9yrs. I don't believe in teaching sexuality until they are at an age where they are starting to look at the opposite sex differently and they are on the brink of their own physical changes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)