Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She totally freaked out!!!!-(Childcare provider and wine!)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 77 Replies

I take care of kids, in my home.  The kids I care for are the kids of a friend that I've known for years and years.  We went all through school together and as soon as I became a stay home mom, he was determined that I would care for his kids too when they came.  (we were never, ever romantic.  Always just friends)  HIs wife is kind of a snob, but she agreed to me taking care of their kids while they are both working.  

Today, my mom came over with a friend of hers.  They were celebrating my mom's friend's birthday and since she hadn't seen my new addition on my house, my mom brought her after their lunch date to check it out.  

I pulled out a bottle of wine for them and they each had a glass.  I do not drink, ever.  I never have, just not interested.  But I keep wine in the house for others to enjoy when they are visiting.  

I left the two glasses and the bottle on the kitchen table since I was busy with the kids and forgot about it competely.  Well, my friend's wife just came to get the girls and she flipped out on me for drinking while caring for her kids.  I politely explained that the wine was not mine, that I don't drink (which she KNOWS!!) and I explained about my mom and her friend.  She continued to flip out, and I told her that while I understand not wanting your childcare provider to be drinking while watching her kids, I shouldn't have to explain myself like I'm a child and not a responsible adult.  I asked her to get her kids and leave my house.  

I will not tolerate being spoken to like that, in my own home!!  If I don't get an apology, from her, I will no longer be doing them THIS FAVOR and they can find a daycare.  I will not be yelled at and she needs to apologize.

vent over!!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM

BUMP!

sha_lyn68
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
How are you doing them a favor? Are you watching their children for free?
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM

That is ridiculous of her. Sounds like she didn't want you to watch them to begin with. 

sunsetchick34
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:32 PM
So agree with you OP. Let her kick rocks trying to find decent childcare if she does not apologize. .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Yes. 

Quoting sha_lyn68: How are you doing them a favor? Are you watching their children for free?

TresHijas111825
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:32 PM
3 moms liked this
I think I'd be upset initially too-but once you explained she should have let it be.

ETA: Friend or not, I wouldn't watch anyone's children regularly for free.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Exactly!!  

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

That is ridiculous of her. Sounds like she didn't want you to watch them to begin with. 

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow I would have done the same thing.
Do you watch them for free or at a discounted rate?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

i understand her concern seeing the wine but unless id seen signs of you drinking while you had the kids,id believe you..

CABZS
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:34 PM
5 moms liked this
Nobody should be drinking in the home during babysitting hours.

That IS common sense.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I take care of kids, in my home.  The kids I care for are the kids of a friend that I've known for years and years.  We went all through school together and as soon as I became a stay home mom, he was determined that I would care for his kids too when they came.  (we were never, ever romantic.  Always just friends)  HIs wife is kind of a snob, but she agreed to me taking care of their kids while they are both working.  

Today, my mom came over with a friend of hers.  They were celebrating my mom's friend's birthday and since she hadn't seen my new addition on my house, my mom brought her after their lunch date to check it out.  

I pulled out a bottle of wine for them and they each had a glass.  I do not drink, ever.  I never have, just not interested.  But I keep wine in the house for others to enjoy when they are visiting.  

I left the two glasses and the bottle on the kitchen table since I was busy with the kids and forgot about it competely.  Well, my friend's wife just came to get the girls and she flipped out on me for drinking while caring for her kids.  I politely explained that the wine was not mine, that I don't drink (which she KNOWS!!) and I explained about my mom and her friend.  She continued to flip out, and I told her that while I understand not wanting your childcare provider to be drinking while watching her kids, I shouldn't have to explain myself like I'm a child and not a responsible adult.  I asked her to get her kids and leave my house.  

I will not tolerate being spoken to like that, in my own home!!  If I don't get an apology, from her, I will no longer be doing them THIS FAVOR and they can find a daycare.  I will not be yelled at and she needs to apologize.

vent over!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)