Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are they not treated equally?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

I left home at eighteen, when I had not even graduated, I moved in with a friend, dropped out, got my GED, a couple of years later. I have always taken care of myself and done well with not having much of an education. 

Two years ago, the company I have and am working for offered their part-time employees an opportunity to go back to school. I took advantage of the program and will have successfully completed my AAS in March of next year. I know it is something I should have done, years ago but I think it is nice accomplishment. I thought my family would agree. 

My three sisters and one brother are over achievers, in every sense of the word. They have always treated me a little different, not very nicely and tend to ignore my existence. I don't let it get to me (most times) but what my sister said in an e-mail to my mother, broke my heart.

When she found out about my commencement ceremony in May, she basically blew it off and said "who goes to a community college's commencement ceremony? I didn't even know they had those!" and "She can't expect anyone to show up to that, I know I won't be going."

My mom said "well, honey, I kind of agree with her; maybe when you get your four year degree, then we'll attend and throw you a celebration."

I wasn't asking for a celebration, I just wanted to share with them the good news. I didn't even really invite them (though I figured they would like to see me handed my degree) and now I am second guessing even going. 

How do you feel about commencement ceremonies for community college grads?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:33 PM

graduate

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:34 PM

teacher

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I didn't even go to my own commencement ceremony.  I find them boring as hell.  But thats me.  If you want to do the walk, by all means do it!  And congratulations! Your family members are kinda being jerks.  That it is important to you is all that matters.

SneezyAl
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Your family are jerks! A degree is a reason to celebrate regardless of what level it is at!

Congrats to you!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Our entire family attended our daughter's graduation from pre-school. You are graduating. Your family should be supportive.
lauren.m
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Congrats on graduating!! Be proud of yourself. Plenty of people don't have a degree from anywhere.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I didn't even go to my law school commencement ceremony.  I find them boring as hell.  But thats me.  If you want to do the walk, by all means do it!  And congratulations! 

To be honest, I had not given it much thought until a classmate said "I'm having a small party, for graduates, friends and family, I'd love to see you there!"

It occurred to me that I should let my family know what was going on. I didn't think I'd get that kind of reaction,

How hard was law school?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SneezyAl: Your family are jerks! A degree is a reason to celebrate regardless of what level it is at! Congrats to you!

Thank you!

I am still kinda in shock that I made it through. I never thought I would go back to school and it feels really good to have it almost over. :)

missym31
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Graduation is just as important at a community college as it is a University... You go and celebrate in your accomplishment and piss on them.... Way to go Momma!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Nothing wrong for community college commencements but not all of them are 2 years . I don't consider it a degree with any power as you can't do anything with it that you can't do with your high school diploma.

However, if you were my family I would be proud of you because you accomplished something more. It's a stepping stone and it should be at least congratulated.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)