Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM
  • 10 Replies
My almost 4 month old has been crying all day. He's been fed and changed, no fever. Cuddling him isn't even working.
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Teething?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Has he had a bowel movement? Could be gas? Or teething like PP said?

kmeow
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Mine did that the other day. Is he just crazy tired? I held mine and walked around the house with her for like an hour until she fell asleep, and she slept The whole rest of the day and night, only waking up for food, and that was at four pm!
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM

What does it mean to swaddle a baby?

Swaddling is the art of snugly wrapping a baby in a blanket for warmth and security. It can keep your baby from being disturbed by her own startle reflex, and it can help her stay warm and toasty for the first few days of life until her internal thermostat kicks in. It may even help to calm your baby.

These days, you probably won't leave the hospital without a little lesson in this technique. Try it, after you've made sure your baby isn't hungry, wet, or tired. Swaddling can be used to help settle your baby down when she's overstimulated or when she just needs to feel something similar to the tightness and security of the womb.

If you choose to swaddle, be sure you know how to do it correctly. Improper swaddling by tightly wrapping your baby's legs straight down may loosen the joints and damage the soft cartilage of the hip sockets, leading to hip dysplasia.

Developmental hip dysplasia is relatively common in newborns. Your doctor will screen your baby at birth and well-child visits for the condition. Family history, breech delivery, and being a girl put your baby at greater risk for hip dysplasia. 

To prevent hip dysplasia when you swaddle, be sure there's enough room at the bottom of the blanket so that your baby can bend her legs up and out from her body.

Once your baby is about a month old you might want to stop swaddling her while she's awake, as it can interfere with mobility and development in older babies. It's fine to keep swaddling your baby for naps and nighttime if she seems to sleep better that way, but the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends you stop swaddling when your baby is 2 months old – about the time she'll start to roll over.

How do I swaddle a baby?

See photos that demonstrate how to swaddle a baby in five simple steps.

• Lay a blanket on a flat surface like a diamond and fold down the top corner about 6 inches to form a straight edge.
  • Place your baby on his back so that the top of the fabric is at shoulder level.
  • Bring your baby's left arm down. Pull the corner of the blanket near his left hand over his arm and chest, and tuck the leading edge under his back on his right side.
  • Bring your baby's right arm down. Pull the corner of the blanket near his right hand over his arm and chest, and tuck the cloth under his left side.
  • Twist or fold the bottom end of the blanket and tuck it loosely behind your baby, making sure that both legs are bent up and out from his body, his hips can move, and his legs can spread apart naturally.

Then hold the baby and sway back and forth while "Shhhing the baby............

IggyAzalea
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Gas? Teething? Hungry? Wonder Week?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Colic?  My oldest had colic, and then as he got older we found out he had sensory issues and was on the autism spectrum.  I'm not saying that to scare you, so I hope you don't take offense to that.  I would make a doctor's appointment to make sure nothing is going on medically, but most likely they will tell you it's colic.  I've heard that swaddling works for some babies with colic, though it never helped my son.  Check to make sure there's nothing scratchy against his skin (even a clothing tag can be scratchy) and he's not too warm or too cold.  If the crying gets too bad, put him in his crib and walk away.  My son had colic from about 3 months right up until he was 9-10 months old.  He cried a lot, and I had no one to help me, so we would go out every day to a local shopping center and window shop at all the stores.  Sometimes he would cry, but I had to share the misery because being stuck in the house in the winter months with a screaming baby will really get to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM

He could be colicy(sp), having a growth spurt, teething, could be getting sick.

balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Can you take him for a car ride or put him in his car seat, put it on the dryer and run the dryer? It might soothe him enough that he can sleep a little and you can get a break.

It could be a lot of things, teething, reflux, his ears. Is he feeding well?

Kayla-maegan
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM
He's been drooly for a while and chewing on things but his gums aren't red or swollen. He probably is sleepy but he usually calms and goes to sleep when I hold him. He's been sleeping through the night for a couple months until like last weekend when he took long naps and woke up every 2 hours at night. He straightened that out himself like two or three days ago.
Kayla-maegan
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I put him in his swaddler and I'm rocking him now. He's going to sleep. Thank you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)