Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prayer before a required public school performance?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies
1 mom liked this
I previously posted about my daughters junior high choir class signing a few fun, frivolous Christmas songs and a few obvious Christian songs in the Winter Festival. No other religions are being represented and my daughter only had a problem with one, very relgious song.
Anyways, her teacher ended up saying she can just not sign along, while remaining on stage. This event is being performed at the Mormon Tabernacle Chior, a beautiful venue to be sure, and obviously a relgious one. I didn't say anything, this is a wonderful venue, BUT today when the teacher was walking through the sequence of events she says after getting on stage they will be opening with a prayer. Um, wait, what? Just because an evemt takes place in a church or temple does not mean a prayer is automatically part of it. My daughter, and myself, are upset about this, to miss this performance will drop her GPA for the trimester two gtade points, and as a 4.0 student, that is incomprehensible to her and not even an option. Sure, she can sit silently through the prayer, but should she even have to? Keep in mid, this is a PUBLIC school and she is already signing a couple very religious songs, one of which she has made the teacher aware of that makes her uncomfortable.
Who should I address this with, the teachers solution is just remaining quite, but this is just crossing the line, IMO.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Yea i wouldn't be OK with that? Can you go above the teacher?
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I would tell her to say the damn prayer so she keeps her 4.0. It's not that big of a deal to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:16 PM
3 moms liked this
Oh for crying out loud. Just sit quietly. Just because they say a prayer doesn't mean you have to believe what they are saying. Why be all petty about it.
sarasunshine99
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this

My children go to a private Friends School, Friends Schools are Quaker.  Accepting of all (and I mean all!) and before every ceremony, in keeping with Quaker tradition, we reflect on "the light within" which is a meditation of one's personal inventory.  It's all good for all.

That said, even public schools around here (Northeast) do not hold events at a religious institutions and do not bring prayer into school, never ever.  

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Lol, this.

Quoting MrsDavidB25: I would tell her to say the damn prayer so she keeps her 4.0. It's not that big of a deal to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my gosh-it's  prayer-deal with it. Not going to kill you-might even do you some good. Geesh!

autodidact
by Snarknado on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Her grade in no way should be dependent on her saying it. 

Quoting MrsDavidB25: I would tell her to say the damn prayer so she keeps her 4.0. It's not that big of a deal to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM
I'm sure I could, but to whom? The principle? Keep in mind I'm in a very, VERY relgious area with about 90% of population Mormon and almost all 'higher ranking' officials also Mormon. What if they don't care?

Quoting Anonymous 2: Yea i wouldn't be OK with that? Can you go above the teacher?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

its just a prayer in a church. they arent asking her to convert or strapping her to a cross,......dont over react about nothing. You'll just look foolish.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
She doesn't HAVE to pray, just stand silently.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)