Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just need to complain...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
I work a miserable 12 hour shift 7 days in a row.

Then I'm off for 7 days, which is nice!

Well I'm pregnant and these hours have been even more difficult to keep up with. I asked my boss what I have to do to shorten my hours and she said, "find another job".

I'm so sad because the only open positions I could move into are night shift or part time. I would work nights, but my husband works nights too and I just got off of 3 years of night shifts.

If I work part time my health insurance would sky rocket and my retirement benefits would change.

I'm just depressed because I feel stuck.

I would look for another job, but with having a baby next year I wouldn't qualify for FMLA at a new job.

I don't know what to do, but I'm afraid that the stress is going to negatively impact my baby.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AvantGardener
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Get your doctor to write a note for you, and check your state laws. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:31 PM
I hate feeling the a whiner and they're giving me such a hard time about being pregnant.

They've worked with other people when they've gone through similar situations. I don't understand why they're being so stern with me because I've always been an upstanding and hard working employee. I've always helped out and worked extra when they needed me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM
I have an appointment on Monday. What do I need to tell him? Just tell him that I'm miserable and my boss is being a jerk?

Can he write me a note to limit my hours? I didn't know that was possible.

I live in Louisiana. I qualify for FMLA as of right now, but I'm not sure if I am considered sick enough to use it.

Quoting AvantGardener:

salleem
by Reddlace on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM

http://www.legalmomentum.org/content/louisiana-laws-relating-pregnancy

AvantGardener
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Ask your doctor how many hours you should be working, you may be surprised to hear what he says. I remember when I was pregnant and I felt like I was going to die, I was so tired. I asked my doctor and she said "You can work regular hours, just like you always have" then she added, "I mean, I don't want you working more than 40 a week or anything" She didn't realize that my job required 55 hours a week. If you haven't spoken to your doctor about your working conditions, he may just assume you work 9-5 every day. My doctor, didn't realize I couldn't take 15 minute breaks all the time to put my feet up, and that I couldn't eat whenever I wanted etc. Sometimes doctors have no clue. lol

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have an appointment on Monday. What do I need to tell him? Just tell him that I'm miserable and my boss is being a jerk? Can he write me a note to limit my hours? I didn't know that was possible. I live in Louisiana. I qualify for FMLA as of right now, but I'm not sure if I am considered sick enough to use it.
Quoting AvantGardener:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:41 PM
Thank you for the information. It was very helpful.

Quoting salleem:

http://www.legalmomentum.org/content/louisiana-laws-relating-pregnancy

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:43 PM
Yes the not being able to eat or take breaks is what is killing me.

In 12 hours - I'm only guaranteed a 30 min lunch break. If work permits I can take a 15 min break, but often enough work doesn't permit and I end up so sick from my stomach being empty.

Quoting AvantGardener:

Ask your doctor how many hours you should be working, you may be surprised to hear what he says. I remember when I was pregnant and I felt like I was going to die, I was so tired. I asked my doctor and she said "You can work regular hours, just like you always have" then she added, "I mean, I don't want you working more than 40 a week or anything" She didn't realize that my job required 55 hours a week. If you haven't spoken to your doctor about your working conditions, he may just assume you work 9-5 every day. My doctor, didn't realize I couldn't take 15 minute breaks all the time to put my feet up, and that I couldn't eat whenever I wanted etc. Sometimes doctors have no clue. lol

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have an appointment on Monday. What do I need to tell him? Just tell him that I'm miserable and my boss is being a jerk?

I live in Louisiana. I qualify for FMLA as of right now, but I'm not sure if I am considered sick enough to use it.

Quoting AvantGardener:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Not to mention it's physically impossible for me to drink enough water in the day. I live completely dehydrated.

Maybe I should just quit. I hate my freaking job.

Quoting AvantGardener:

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have an appointment on Monday. What do I need to tell him? Just tell him that I'm miserable and my boss is being a jerk?

Quoting AvantGardener:

AvantGardener
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:51 PM

With my first pregnancy, I felt completely unable to take care of myself. I was retaining so much water, I was so unhealthy. If you have another job you can take, or don't need to work, then do what's best for you. Most likely you job will have to make accommodations for you though or move you in to a position without the same kinds of demands. Do you have an HR department you can call, to understand your rights better?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Not to mention it's physically impossible for me to drink enough water in the day. I live completely dehydrated. Maybe I should just quit. I hate my freaking job.
Quoting AvantGardener:

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have an appointment on Monday. What do I need to tell him? Just tell him that I'm miserable and my boss is being a jerk? Can he write me a note to limit my hours? I didn't know that was possible. I live in Louisiana. I qualify for FMLA as of right now, but I'm not sure if I am considered sick enough to use it.
Quoting AvantGardener:

JanineDeer
by Janine on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM

What do you do??  Could you find another job in your same field?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)