Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pitting edema, wwyd?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
So I'm 34 weeks pregnant and have pitting edema in my feet and legs. The Dr has said that it's just the seasons it's been like this for almost 3 weeks and now it won't go away completely. What do you ladies think should I go the er and get a second opinion? Or stay home and do nothing?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
salleem
by Reddlace on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I had the same thing with DS. It was the weather, also I wasn't drinking enough water. My advice is if you are concerned go in. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:49 PM
It's fairly common in pregnancy (and not in pregnancy for that matter). I wouldn't do anything.
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Are you elevating your feet at the end of the day? 

What has your blood pressure been? 

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:49 PM
I had it with my first. Dr kept saying it was normal and brushing it off. Turned out i had preeclampsia
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM
I wouldn't go to the ER but I would see another doctor. Pitting edema is a common sign of vascular problems and preeclampsia. Both which can plague otherwise healthy women when they are pregnant. This doesn't mean you have either of these condition but that you need to make sure you don't have either of these conditions. Has your blood pressure been normal? Any sign of protein in your urine?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Yes and 130/70 at last visit

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM
130/70 at last visit and no they are watching that close

Quoting Anonymous 3: I wouldn't go to the ER but I would see another doctor. Pitting edema is a common sign of vascular problems and preeclampsia. Both which can plague otherwise healthy women when they are pregnant. This doesn't mean you have either of these condition but that you need to make sure you don't have either of these conditions. Has your blood pressure been normal? Any sign of protein in your urine?
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Drink more water, keep your feet up as much as possible. Can you get some compression stockings? That will really help and keep you from getting varicose veins. 

Blood pressure is good! 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes and 130/70 at last visit
Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

mattiehatter
by Mary on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM
Maybe you could a ask him about compression stockings if you're willing to go that route. Increase your water inhale, lower your sodium intake, and easy some cucumber.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM

The ER?   That seems extreme if your blood pressure is normal and you are not spilling protein in your urine.  A bad headache or generally feeling unwell plus swelling would also cause me to go to the ER, but not swelling alone.

Drink a lot of water, take daily walks but when you do not walk, put your feet up.   Take nice long baths - those often get the water circulating.   You can massage your legs towards the heart.  There are food that contribute and lessen edema - it might be worth a Google.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)