Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary school concerts are so stupid

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM
  • 96 Replies
The idea of them is cute but my son's school's execution of it is stupid.

First of all, they sent something home on Nov 17 saying the concert was the 9th. We planned accordingly.

Today ds comes home with a paper saying there was an error and the concert is actually the 16th. it took them this long to figure out their mistake? Seriously?

There are two performances, one at 2 (during school) and one at 7.

Attendance to the 7pm one is mandatory and your child's grade will be affected if they don't attend. Also, you have to stay for the whole performance which I can kinda understand but my hemorrhoids aren't happy about.

But here's the thing that really bugs me-I don't think the after school one should be mandatory. First of all, they jacked up the date. People WORK. They had planned for this thing to happen on Tuesday...and now parents might have to scramble to find sitters or take off work again. And what about the parents that CANT take off work?

Also, I think it's stupid to have a bunch of elementary school kids out past 9 on a school night.

I just don't think schools should make events after school hours mandatory.
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crumpy_gat
by No. on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM
What the fuck
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM
What the fuck
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I hate school concerts. They were cute when he was a toddler, but at age 12? Not so much.

ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I'm looking forward to ours next week, I have two performers (and one is doing a solo).  I was not jazzed about the dress code, because I forgot about it.  luckily the older one's outfit from last year still fits, and her sister has plenty of fashionable holiday hand-me-downs from her cousin.  we do have to buy shoes though, because it specifically says no tennis shoes.  ugh.

rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM
Dude. Tmi.
spooky415
by Emerald Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM
Oh yeah! That's the other thing. All boys have to wear ties.

Quoting ff-princess:

I'm looking forward to ours next week, I have two performers (and one is doing a solo).  I was not jazzed about the dress code, because I forgot about it.  luckily the older one's outfit from last year still fits, and her sister has plenty of fashionable holiday hand-me-downs from her cousin.  we do have to buy shoes though, because it specifically says no tennis shoes.  ugh.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Whine whine whine
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:40 PM

The mandatory thing is crap and the grade as well. Parents should try their hardest to attend at least one concert for the kid's sake, not because there's a grade attached. How stupid. 

mommy2boys03
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I like the way my boys' school does the concerts.  It's by grade level so they are never longer than 45 minutes.  Up until 5th grade they aren't mandatory. 5th grade band and choir have 2 mandatory concerts a year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)