Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is my dd advanced for her age?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 69 Replies
shes 6 yrs old and in 1st grade. She read a junie b. jones book, 8 chapters and 66 pages, in about 1.5 hrs. She is ahead of her class already just with her reading chapter books but the entire book really surprised me. I was told they are 2nd/3rd grade reading level but idk how true that is?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Maybe advanced in reading. How is she in other areas? My son is ahead in math, but just average in French, so it balances out

momofcourse
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:24 PM

lol, being average in another language is still better than most American children that don't get taught anything but English.  Poor English at that. 

Quoting Rangermom772:

Maybe advanced in reading. How is she in other areas? My son is ahead in math, but just average in French, so it balances out

only_1_4_me
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:24 PM

it would depend.. what type of advanced are you looking at? some kids are gifted in one particular area, but average or suffer in others, so their all around abilites would be calculated as average..

SandyLaxner
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask her teacher.  Maybe she should test for a gifted program.

KennyPooPoo22
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:25 PM
My niece is the same age with a 3rd grade reading and math level. They wanted to place her in G&T but my sister didn't want to.
notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Did she read it outloud? Does she comprehend what she's reading?
nellyoleson
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that is great!! I would say that is advanced ...especially if she is both reading and comprehending. Keep encouraging her love for reading!
Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, we live in Quebec, he goes to school in French. It his first language, lol. He better get straight A's in English since he is the only one in his class who speaks it at home!

Quoting momofcourse:

lol, being average in another language is still better than most American children that don't get taught anything but English.  Poor English at that. 

Quoting Rangermom772:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

no

ColesMommy63005
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:30 PM
If she's actually comprehending what she's reading then it sounds like she could be ahead in reading.... My son is also ahead in reading as well as math. He's in gate for both...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)