Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why one mom cancelled Christmas

Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

FOX NEWS)--In a blog post that is sparking debate, a mother revealed why she and her husband took the extraordinary step of canceling Christmas for their kids.

On her blog, Over the Big Moon, Lisa Henderson writes:

Now before you all go crazy on me in the comments, let me explain. We have not cancelled putting up decorations, celebrating the birth of our Savior, or any of our other heartwarming traditions. But, we have cancelled presents, Santa, and stockings. Their letters to Santa this year will be asking Santa to find someone who needs their presents more.

Here is why – John and I feel like we are fighting a very hard uphill battle with our kids when it comes to entitlement. Our kids have been acting so ungrateful lately. They expect so much even when their behavior is extremely disrespectful. We gave them good warning, either it was time for their behavior to change or there would be consequences. We patiently worked with them for several months and guess what, very little changed. One day after a particularly bad display of entitlement John said, “we should just cancel Christmas.” And, so that's what we did.

Instead we will be taking the money we would have spent on presents and put it towards service projects and giving gifts to others this season. We are trying to teach them the pleasure of giving rather than continuing to feed their childhood desire for more.

Henderson joined "Fox and Friends" Wednesday morning, explaining that the family is still celebrating, but trying to instill in the children that Christmas is "not all about getting."

She added that the couple's decision is about teaching their kids that bad behavior has a consequence and to lessen their sense of entitlement.

"It doesn't mean it has to be a negative consequence. We are having a blast turning this into a different kind of gift," said Henderson.

Jeannie Cunnion, author of "Parenting the Wholehearted Child," agreed that Christmas is a great opportunity to teach children about "giving and loving and sharing." But she also disagreed that kids should be taught at Christmas time that they need to "try harder or be better" in order to be worthy of gifts.

"Christmas is about anticipating and celebrating the greatest gift that's already been given and that's the unconditional love of God and the birth of Jesus Christ," said Cunnion, adding that gift-giving on Christmas should be tied into "the miracle" of Jesus' birth.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for her for teachering her kids the true meaning of Christmas.

by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Oh man I would be pissed if I were her kids but I see her point.
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM
2 moms liked this

She didn't cancel Christmas. She took the gifts out of the equation. That's not what Christmas is about anyway so I don't see what the big deal is. I also don't see why people are getting so worked up over one mom's parenting decision. If it's not your kid, MYOB.

by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I'm all for that. Bad behavior should not be rewarded.

by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I wouldn't do it. I have 364 other days to teach my children the life lessons they will need. I can't see how this will help with her kids being disrespectful or whatever. If anything, now there is a whole layer of resentment added to the mix. 

by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Good for her. I'd do it too if my kids were being spoiled entitled brats.
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:05 PM
My mom quit Christmas when I was 13. She felt we were adult enough to not need to decorate or get presents anymore. I kind of felt like she robbed me of a very special tradition. I understood that my stepdad was unemployed and we were struggling so I didn't care that I wasn't getting presents. My favorite part of Christmas was decorating, singing carols, baking cookies. It felt sad and lonely that first Christmas with no tree, no cookies, no spirit. When I read the title, my heart sank. But then I read the article and I'm happy that the family decided not to cancel traditions, just presents.
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:11 PM

They had 364 days of the year to teach their kids a lesson.  I bet you those kids received birthday presents.  I bet you when those kids displayed inappropriate behaviour when they were toddlers that their parents thought it was cute and laughed about it, or made excuses about their age.  Instead of correcting the behaviour then and there.  I bet you if you went into the parents home, those kids have every luxury (ie. gaming console, iPads, laptops, cell phones) without even having to work hard to earn those luxries  I believe a large majority of kids (NOT ALL) bad and entitled behaviour is due to lack of parenting.  This lesson may backfire in the parents faces in the worst way. 

by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:20 PM
More power to them. That's great.
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Giving has more meaning when it isn't a punishment. Not sure this is going to build much more than resentment.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)