Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

California Tax law

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Anyone that lives in California know about this possible new tax law, that if you put your child in school in the state of California but you are not a resident of the state you still have to pay the state taxes? Also I guess if you get a state ID/Drivers licence you have to pay (which I thought that make you a resident cause if your military you dont need to have a state ID/Drivers licence from the state youre in).

***I should say this is a rumor going around a military base, I havent been able to find anything on the net about this yet and Im doing different searches trying to find anything about it.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Why would someone get a CA drivers license if they didn't live here? Ditto for sending their kids to school here, unless it's a private school maybe, but the public schools in this state are not great.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Why would someone get a CA drivers license if they didn't live here? Ditto for sending their kids to school here, unless it's a private school maybe, but the public schools in this state are not great.

My child is enrolled in the California Virtual Academy which is a online home schoolprogram. And I don't know why anyone that doesn't live here as a resident would ever get a CA licence lol.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Oh, would it apply to online schools too? That's pretty sucky but it wouldn't really surprise me. This state goes crazy with taxes.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

My child is enrolled in the California Virtual Academy which is a online home schoolprogram. And I don't know why anyone that doesn't live here as a resident would ever get a CA licence lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Yeah thats what the rumor is claiming that cause of the lack of money the state has it can force non residents to pay state taxes if you do either one of these things. I dont understand it since I thought home taxes paid for school and not state taxes.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Oh, would it apply to online schools too? That's pretty sucky but it wouldn't really surprise me. This state goes crazy with taxes.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

eadyT
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:11 AM
California has some crazy laws. So it wouldn't surprise me.
ilovecandy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:12 AM

I live in CA and have never heard of this.

I have however, heard and am pissed about them passing or possibly passing a new gas tax thing. Which will add 16-25 cents a gallon. So no more gas tax, but it will raise gas prices 16-25 cents a gallon. Because you know, it isnt expensive enough here as it is

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Quoting ilovecandy:

I live in CA and have never heard of this.

I have however, heard and am pissed about them passing or possibly passing a new gas tax thing. Which will add 16-25 cents a gallon. So no more gas tax, but it will raise gas prices 16-25 cents a gallon. Because you know, it isnt expensive enough here as it is

I guess its a new proposal, its one I havent heard of. And of course Im getting this information from men who I swear never know how to ask the right questions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2014 at 12:29 AM

bump

Seasal
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Maybe the school system is being overrun with students who's parents are not legal residents of CA and not homeowners therfore not paying school taxes. Money to run the schools has to come from somewhere. I live on the east coast so I dont really know about any new CA tax laws though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2014 at 2:39 PM

If you own a home and live in said home in California you are a California resident. If you are renting then your money is going to the school through rent which the landlord collects and pays the property taxes. We pay for rent here in California but we only lived here for 5 months, we own a home in a different state that we have owned and lived in  for the last 5 years we are so not residents of Californiabut I guess they are trying to claim you are a resident of this state if you send your kid to the schools here (that is if the new proposal passes before the end of the year) I don't have a clue how this work with taxes and stuff.

Quoting Seasal: Maybe the school system is being overrun with students who's parents are not legal residents of CA and not homeowners therfore not paying school taxes. Money to run the schools has to come from somewhere. I live on the east coast so I dont really know about any new CA tax laws though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)