Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

who here is celebrating today? *story added *

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:48 AM
  • 15 Replies
Well, tomorrow....La Virgen de la Guadalupe day?

On December 12 Catholics the world over, especially in Latin America, celebrate the feast day of the Virgin of Guadalupe. In Mexico this is one of the most important holidays of the year. Our Lady of Guadalupe is the patron saint of Mexico. She is called La Reina de Mexico the Queen of Mexico and is quite a cultural icon. In 1999 Pope John Paul II proclaimed Our Lady of Guadalupe a patron saint of all the Americas.

On December 9, 1531, Juan Diego, a Native American in Mexico who had been converted to Catholicism, saw an apparition of a beautiful lady dressed like an Aztec princess at the Hill of Tepeyac, near Mexico City. The lady spoke to Juan Diego in his native language, Nahuatl, The lady said “I, your mother, am here. You are under my shadow and protection? I am the fountain of your joy.” Juan Diego then realized that she was the Virgen Mary. She asked him to build a church in her honor on that site.
Juan Diego told the Spanish Archbishop of Mexico City, Fray Juan de Zumárraga, about his visit from the Virgin. Fray Juan de Zumárraga told Juan Diego to return to Tepeyac Hill, and ask the lady for a “sign” to prove her identity. Juan Diego had a very sick uncle and the first sign was that the uncle was miraculously healed. The Virgin told Juan Diego go to the top of Tepeyac Hill and reap flowers. Juan Diego found Castilian roses that only grow in Spain. Even though it was December and the blooming season was over, and the top of Tepeyac Hill was normally barren Juan Diego filled his tilma or cloak with a profusion of the Castilian roses. Juan Diego returned to Fray Zumárraga on December 12, opening his tilma, the flowers fell to the floor, and on the fabric of Juan Diego’s tilma was the image of the Virgin.
Symbols and designs in the image told the Aztecs about Catholicism using their hieroglyphic writing. When looking on Juan Diego’s tilma at the image of Our Lady in the fabric, the Aztecs grasped the meaning of the Catholic faith and asked to be baptized. Because of the image approximately nine million Aztecs converted to Catholicism in the next seven years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Not sure what that is exactly...
bcoll
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:17 AM
Not I. Here's a bump :)
.PinkSunshine.
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:18 AM
No clue what that even is.
TheQueen-1
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:21 AM

umm... well Im drinking wine.. Does that count? ( even though ive never heard of it)

Donna.June
by Pigpen on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:21 AM
I haven't heard of that day.

I have heard of La Virgen de la Guadalupe.
CrickettyBoo
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:25 AM
Today is when Juan Diego (a native) saw the Virgin atop a hill somewhere in Mexico. I don't really know the story but its an important day for Latino Catholics.

Quoting Donna.June: I haven't heard of that day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Unapologetic
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope - but I will be celebrating my birthday! 

Lawdy, lawdy, I am turning 40 o.O

Donna.June
by Pigpen on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:28 AM
I'm Hispanic and was raised Catholic. Just not church going or anything.

My paternal grandma had statutes and those candles with pictures on them in her house.

Quoting CrickettyBoo: Today is when Juan Diego (a native) saw the Virgin atop a hill somewhere in Mexico. I don't really know the story but its an important day for Latino Catholics.

Quoting Donna.June: I haven't heard of that day.

CrickettyBoo
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:29 AM
Happy Birthday!

Quoting Unapologetic:

Nope - but I will be celebrating my birthday! 

Lawdy, lawdy, I am turning 40 o.O

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:30 AM
I'm not Catholic so I don't personally celebrate it, but I have family who probably will.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)