Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Woman 'Mooed' at By Coworkers! smh

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:17 AM
  • 6 Replies

Woman 'Mooed' at By Coworkers for Pumping Breast Milk at Work

woman at workThough women have been doing it for centuries, there are still some surprisingly barbaric attitudes toward breastfeeding. Case in point: an Oregon woman claims that she was "mooed" at by colleagues when she pumped breast milk at the office.

In court papers, Monica Van De Pitte says that her coworkers at Velocitel, Inc., a company that builds cellphone towers, not only taunted her, they also taped a picture of a cow mooing to the supply room where all the nursing moms had to pump. The entire scenario is outrageous.

Clearly Van De Pitte felt the same way. In the suit, she also detailed that when she was hired in 2012, she told her supervisors she needed flexibility to care for her young children and nurse her 1-year-old son. She also asked for a private space to pump. It wasn't until she started that she learned that this "private space" was a closet.

Not only that, there were other problems in her workplace. Many of the workers openly bragged about their sex lives. One guy was even nicknamed "The Walking HR Violation" and would often pretend to honk the mothers' breasts.

She complained but was told she needed to "privately reflect on why sexual conversations made her uncomfortable." It's as though these company execs think they are in the Mad Men era of business. How can they think that any of this behavior is remotely appropriate?

Not surprisingly, Van De Pitte filed a sexual harassment lawsuit and quit in January 2013. Clearly her claims were valid as the company recently settled the case for an undisclosed amount.

Have you ever been mistreated or harassed while breastfeeding?

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
4x4x16mom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:22 AM
No i never have, but had that been me who was mooed at,I would have laughed.
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd do my best to knock a fucker out if they often pretended to honk my breasts...

Ridiculous, all of it.

MysticRainbow
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:27 AM
I confess. I laughed about the mooing. But it would seem that was just one thing on a long list of things that made the place a hostile work environment. And I would have quit, as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:32 AM
The cow thing would have been funny to me. And the honking thing would have gotten him a swift kick in the pants.
LoinND
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:32 AM

wow that is just so awful - but I have a big mouth and have been known to put a few male co workers in their places - you should not have to ever feel the need to defend yourself at work but the truth is, as women we have been having to do it for as long as we have been doing the same job as men, there is no place in an office for a thin skinned woman... men mess with other men all the time, bawdy jokes, rude jokes really gross stuff - if you work in an office with men be prepared to be one of the guys or the office ho. there really is no in between...

BmoreRavens
by Raven on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:31 AM

It's nice that it is mandatory for businesses to accomadate the disabled. Now, how about BF mothers? A nice size room with several comfortable over -stuffed chairs and changing tables - and a TV while they are at it - and tastefully decorated!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)