Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wanting to start working, but worried about schedule

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I've been a SAHM for 5 years and now that my son has started kindergarten, I'm ready go to back to work. The work that I do usually has typical office hours (7 or 8am-5 or 6pm) but I'm wondering how I'll do everything else with this schedule. My son goes to school from 8am-3pm. I'm worried about what will happen if I have to work at 7..what about getting him to school? Or if I have to work at 8, we'll need to be at two different places at the same time. Then I don't know who will pick him up after school, and I refuse to put him in day care. His dad has an extremely unpredictable schedule, odd hours, it always varies..so he'll be able to take or pick him up some days but his schedule is so crazy that we just never know. My parents have a lot of health issues so I'd hate to depend on them.

I'm just confused because I've always said I'd go back to work when he starts school, I didn't think about these little details. It would be perfect if I could find a job working 8:30am-2:30pm but in the field of work I do, that won't happen.

How do you working moms do it? What's your schedule like and does your kid go to day care after school?

Would it be rediculous if I just continued to be a SAHM (mainly) because of this issue? It's already a huge adjustment having him away from me 8 hours a day. But it would be even worse if he not only had to go to school all day, but then go to day care hours after.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:00 AM

I work nights--930pm until 6am,  I am home to get them ready, give them breakfast, drop them off, nap when they are in school (though right now I have a 3 month old so not much sleeping going on), pick them up, hang out in the afternoon with them, get homework started, get them dinner and am off to bed when they are off to bathe.

MamaCrowley
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:02 AM

What about day care after school?  I know a few girls who do that with their kids and it works well for them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:04 AM
This seems like a good schedule to me.

Quoting MixedCooke:

I work nights--930pm until 6am,  I am home to get them ready, give them breakfast, drop them off, nap when they are in school (though right now I have a 3 month old so not much sleeping going on), pick them up, hang out in the afternoon with them, get homework started, get them dinner and am off to bed when they are off to bathe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:17 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:28 AM
I was a sahm for 11 years. This year ds started kindergarten and when I applied for jobs I gave them specific times when I can start my shift and end my shift. Some places had a problem with it, but the job I have now didn't

My kids start school at 7:45, I work at the same school and start my shift at 8:00. They get out of school at 2:30 and I get off work the same time.
Dh and I also share a car and he works nights so my schedule is perfect for everyone. I can still take and pick up my kids, get home to make dh dinner before he leaves for work when he takes the car. I couldn't have asked for a better job and schedule.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:08 AM
That does sound perfect. What do you do at the school?

Quoting Anonymous 3: I was a sahm for 11 years. This year ds started kindergarten and when I applied for jobs I gave them specific times when I can start my shift and end my shift. Some places had a problem with it, but the job I have now didn't

My kids start school at 7:45, I work at the same school and start my shift at 8:00. They get out of school at 2:30 and I get off work the same time.
Dh and I also share a car and he works nights so my schedule is perfect for everyone. I can still take and pick up my kids, get home to make dh dinner before he leaves for work when he takes the car. I couldn't have asked for a better job and schedule.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:09 AM
I work in the front office.

Quoting Anonymous 1: That does sound perfect. What do you do at the school?

Quoting Anonymous 3: I was a sahm for 11 years. This year ds started kindergarten and when I applied for jobs I gave them specific times when I can start my shift and end my shift. Some places had a problem with it, but the job I have now didn't

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)